Koodo Community

koodo sim card is not registering

• 26 December 2021
  • 5 replies

I have a ulefone note 6 and i put the sim in and it is not detecting it. Does koodo work on this phone?

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have a ulefone note 6 and i put the sim in and it is not detecting it. Does koodo work on this phone?

It’s unlikely it will work well, since it is only compatible with two bands on the 3G network. You are better off finding another phone that has the required bands to operate on the LTE network. Otherwise, you will have a poor signal wherever you go. 

Do you happen to know which providers work?. Its for my son for texting

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The problem wasn't about the provider,if the Koodo sim doesn't work (although the phone specifications said it would work) ,you  might be residing in an area where you didn't have proper 3G coverage or the phone had hardware issue.

Anyway, If the phone doesn't support LTE network. You will have the same problem with any carrier. If you insisted, you can try to go to a store of rogers/fido and ask them to test 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The Ulefone Note 6 is indeed limited in frequency range (3G). Though, 3G bands have been repurposed for 4G which should allow for basic talk and text. If you live in a large urban area, this may not be a problem. If you live in a rural area, then it’s likely the phone will have difficulty establishing and maintaining connection to the network, if at all. 

It’s possible the Ulefone Note 6 is set to LTE by default and cannot connect because it does not have the compatible LTE frequency. You can try changing the preferred network type by going to Settings > Network & Internet > Cellular networks > Preferred network type and select 3G only (or WCDMA Only) to see if the phone will connect to the network.

Also, make sure the SIM card is inserted into one of the two SIM slots, preferably SIM slot 1 and not in the TF or SD card slot.

If you cannot get this phone to register on Koodo and this is a recent purchase that is still within the sellers return period, consider returning the phone and getting one that is compatible with Koodo.

Below, is a list of the bands and radio frequencies that a phone needs to be able to connect to the Koodo network. Sometimes manufacturers and sellers will shorten the word Band to “B” and print all the bands the phone is compatible with, like this; B1. B2, B4, etc.  

Bands 5 & 2 (850 MHz and 1900 MHz) 3G & 4G

Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz AWS-1) LTE

Band 7 (2600 MHz) 4G LTE-A

Bands 12/13/17/29 (700 MHz A/B/C/E) 4G LTE/LTE-A (rural usage)

WillMyPhoneWork.net is a good resource to verify if the phone you’ve selected is compatible with Koodo’s network. If the phone you’re interested in is not listed on WillMyPhoneWork.net, or you’re unsure about phone compatibility, feel free to ask us.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It is unlikely it will work well with most, if not all, Canadian carriers. The fact that it only deals with 3G bands really limits its connectivity. As we suggested, it would be better to find another phone that includes LTE bands for it to work without issues. There are many phones under $200 that will fit your budget with the proper bands for your son to use it properly. It can be a second-hand phone in the marketplace or the latest budget phone.