Koodo Community
Solved

eSim connection issues

• 5 December 2020
  • 11 replies

Hello guys,
Hopefully, someone can help.
I got myself a famous eSim voucher for my Koodo prepaid. I wanted to transfer my physical sim to eSim because I have two numbers: a Canadian and abroad.
I went through the guide and successfully downloaded and activated my eSim. And...it doesn't connect to the network and mobile data. The automatically select network is on, but "Choose network" is disconnected, and I cannot tap on it. I tried to reboot my phone, didn't help. The physical sim card works just fine.
Did I miss something, or should I call a rep to deal with this issue?

My device is Pixel 5

icon

Best answer by Dinh 6 December 2020, 07:32

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is it possible to move the ‘automatically select network’ switch to the off position? By doing so, this should display a list of available networks allowing you to manually choose a network. Select Koodo and a message, “registered on network” should appear briefly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think the issue could be from the settings of dual SIM in your phone, you might have set the default SIM to the physical SIM. I would suggest you check to make sure both 2 SIM are active and the default SIM for voice/call/data to Koodo. You could check out Google documentation here https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/9449293?hl=en

Thank you both for the answers!

Is it possible to move the ‘automatically select network’ switch to the off position? By doing so, this should display a list of available networks allowing you to manually choose a network. Select Koodo and a message, “registered on network” should appear briefly. 

No, I don’t have this choice, it’s grey and I can’t tap on it.

I think the issue could be from the settings of dual SIM in your phone, you might have set the default SIM to the physical SIM. I would suggest you check to make sure both 2 SIM are active and the default SIM for voice/call/data to Koodo. You could check out Google documentation here https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/9449293?hl=en

It didn’t work as well. First, I reached out to Google if there weren’t any issues with settings. The answer was the phone’s settings are just fine, and I didn’t find anything either.

I called the Koodo rep. After 45 mins phone call, he didn’t come up with any solution. Their tech dept didn’t find any issues either.

Their only solution was to get a new voucher as this one might be faulty. Basically, they forwarded the responsibility to the store and me. I have to go back to the store, get a new voucher, do the setup with them. Hopefully, there won’t be any troubles with that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@wjillm Sorry to hear. Do keep us posted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I found this thread on Google fourm https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/9794615?hl=en There was one screenshot there, was it the same as yours? From the convo, I think the screen was screencaptured when the eSIM wasn’t added (activated) , the OP later managed to add esim and it worked.

I wonder, if your eSIM initially was activated properly. When you were at the store, did it work? If possible, can you re-add the eSIM from the QR code?

I spent almost 2 hrs with a Koodo rep yesterday. No luck whatsoever. She tried 3 different vouchers. Download and activation were always successful.  However, no connection to the network. She confirmed the issue is on the Koodo side, not mine. 

She spoke to two different reps on the phone and honestly, they had no clue. They didn’t know, there can be eSim on Android, then they tried to blame it on the plan (prepaid).  She had to tell them, that their website says otherwise. She asked them to pair my EID with the eSim because the manual change of sim card number on Koodo self-serve didn’t work.  The answer was kinda shocking. No technical support for prepaid plans, bye (the dude was on speaker, but didn’t know).

What I think the issue is, they have two types of Koodo eSim vouchers, prepaid and postpaid, and they have only postpaid available.

I was just about to get a postpaid plan because I should get my PR soon, but on with Koodo unfortunately.

I found this thread on Google fourm https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/9794615?hl=en There was one screenshot there, was it the same as yours? From the convo, I think the screen was screencaptured when the eSIM wasn’t added (activated) , the OP later managed to add esim and it worked.

I wonder, if your eSIM initially was activated properly. When you were at the store, did it work? If possible, can you re-add the eSIM from the QR code?

I cannot re-scan the QR code, it’s one-time shot. The Koodo rep did herself 3 times with another colleague looking over her shoulder. I believe they tried all possible options.

It’s not quite the same, it recognizes Koodo network, APNs, but there is no how-to pair it with my phone number, which I believe it’s the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@wjillm A quick read over on Reddit mentions an SKU number (NKESIMV) that applies to the postpaid eSIM voucher that the author received. I’m not sure if SKU’s change over time as the Reddit post below is 11 months old. The author can’t recall what the SKU is for prepaid eSIM vouchers. Check to see if the SKU on your eSIM voucher matches the postpaid SKU.

Reddit | Koodo eSIM

Unfortunately, she kept the vouchers. She escalated the issue. Hopefully, there will be some update on it soon.

I just wanna talk to a human! 
After trying to be safe and doing all of this online from home I end up having to go out to a busy mall, buy a stupid ESim card that is $20!!! So much for free SIM card… an ESim card that doesn’t even work I’ve done mine through virgin and bell before they have never charged for an ESim so the fact Koodo does and over charges you for a piece of item to scan is disappointing I’ve been trying to talk to a person on the phone and I just get hung up! I can not even get a call back BECAUSE I HAVE NO SERVICE this is the worst activation experience ever. Koodo needs more real people available for stuff like this cause Your useless robot isn’t helping! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

After trying to be safe and doing all of this online from home I end up having to go out to a busy mall, buy a stupid ESim card that is $20!!! So much for free SIM card… an ESim card that doesn’t even work I’ve done mine through virgin and bell before they have never charged for an ESim so the fact Koodo does and over charges you for a piece of item to scan is disappointing I’ve been trying to talk to a person on the phone and I just get hung up! I can not even get a call back BECAUSE I HAVE NO SERVICE this is the worst activation experience ever. Koodo needs more real people available for stuff like this cause Your useless robot isn’t helping! 

I don’t think  online self-serve or their bot can issue an eSIM for you. Here is their information https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/esim-and-esim-vouchers

If the “online eSIM” feature is a must, I would suggest you choose Bell or VirginMobile. Koodo in their link didn’t have it as of now.

Also, if you would like to schedule a callback, you can schedule to a different Canadian number (it doesn’t have to be your Koodo number). You could also contact them via Facebook/Twitter messaging (link at the bottom of this forum).

I feel your pain. I went through the same. The agent on the phone didn’t have a clue, the rep tried to help but as I mentioned before, they have no support for prepaid. They made it easy for me. I’m not a Koodo customer anymore. I with Lucky, no vouchers for eSim, 25$ for unlimited texting and calling and 1GB data (I barely need any data).