Koodo Community

Auto top-up failed after many years no issues

• 3 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5

Wondering if this was an isolated incident or something particular for many/all auto top-up customers on April 2nd. 

Last night April 2 (after 9pm) discovered that one of my prepaid phones failed to auto-top after many many years of smooth operation.  Text messages were sent out via 611 around noon about being unable to process payment and then later in the day that the baseplan could not be renewed and top check online and contact 611 if issues persisted.    SMS and phone calls ceased to work later in the day as well.   Any incoming calls went directly to voicemail.   I didn’t learn of all this until the evening.

I logged into the online account and it showed account was suspended and renewal did not take place.  The transaction history showed March 3 2021 successful but nothing for April..  The main account balance had my 10% auto top up credit from last month and nothing else and it indicated I had until Jul 2021 to renew.

Went into the billing section online and all looked fine.  Checked my CC statement online and zero transactions from Koodo.  So I decided to go ahead and manually click the button to top up the amount in the billing section. 

After about 5 mins of the browser whirling and saying “loading please wait”, the phone received an SMS from Koodo that auto-top was successful and the account transactions then showed all transactions on April 2 for auto-top.  I checked CC online again, and there was the Koodo transaction!  SMS and voice calls were restored - hurray!  Thankfully this phone was at home all day and not out and about.

Wondering if anyone else experienced the same?  Seems like the auto-top failed on April 2 to take place for some reason and that a manual intervention via online was required.

Perhaps Koodo can check their systems to make sure what happened doesn’t take place again.

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You say that it indicated you have until July 2021 to renew. Is it possible you have accumulated a bit of a balance in your account? It will only auto top up if you need to be topped up. If there is already money in the account that it can take from it'll just take from that.

Userlevel 5

You say that it indicated you have until July 2021 to renew. Is it possible you have accumulated a bit of a balance in your account? It will only auto top up if you need to be topped up. If there is already money in the account that it can take from it'll just take from that.

No, it’s the standard 90 days/3 months you have to pay and add a baseplan before you lose your number and all boosters.

The only accumulation that’s possible now is the monthly auto top-up credit amount.  Koodo changed this behaviour quite some time ago

This incident was simply a failure of the monthly auto top-up mechanism