Skip to main content

Are there any other carriers (prepaid or monthly) with cheap US data roaming?

I switched to Koodo prepaid as it offers a $20 (or was it $25) US data package.  That is plenty for me for most trips, much better than the $15 or so per day for other carriers, eg Koodo or Virgin monthly.

However they have not been able to get my account to work, so I have to shop for some other plan instead.

When you mentioned “cheap”, how much are you willing to pay? and what is your normal usage? are you going to US regularly. Do you want to keep your Canadian number?.

Anyway, If you really want to enjoy the freedom of calling Canada/US and roaming data, you should look into US/CAD plans from Telus.

I’m just looking for data, not voice calls.  Ideally not messing around with a different SIM/account.

Koodo prepaid offers 2GB for about $20 (or $25 I forget).  I used less than half on a recent 6 day trip.  The roaming on Koodo monthly would be $15 ish per day or at least $60 for that trip.  And I do this 4-5 times per year.

So something that is usage based not per day is really what matters I guess.

I’m just looking for data, not voice calls.  Ideally not messing around with a different SIM/account.

Koodo prepaid offers 2GB for about $20 (or $25 I forget).  I used less than half on a recent 6 day trip.  The roaming on Koodo monthly would be $15 ish per day or at least $60 for that trip.  And I do this 4-5 times per year.

So something that is usage based not per day is really what matters I guess.

If you are looking for just data then Koodo prepaid or US carrier prepaid might be a good choice. If you had a phone that supports dual SIM (eSIM + physical SIM), you could add another SIM and use it along side your Koodo SIM.

Koodo prepaid data booster might have issue with US carrier as they shut down their 3G network in US. However, if it worked fine for you recently, I guess you could do the same this time.

Anyway, if you roamed and didn’t want to trigger easyroam you should disable both cellular data and data roaming in your phone to avoid accidental usage. More here

Prepaid US data from Koodo can be an experience. They don’t seem to have a handle on the newer US network tech. Any other US & Canada all-inclusive will be relatively expensive during the months you don’t need full coverage.

If you have a US mailing address, look at Tello or Mint, but you will have to swap SIMS.

When shopping US plans, watch out for throttling the  fine print (first 10G at xxx, then the rest at 2G speeds, etc.)

he

If you are looking for just data then Koodo prepaid or US carrier prepaid might be a good choice. If you had a phone that supports dual SIM (eSIM + physical SIM), you could add another SIM and use it along side your Koodo SIM.

Koodo prepaid data booster might have issue with US carrier as they shut down their 3G network in US. However, if it worked fine for you recently, I guess you could do the same this time.

I’d be happy with Koodo prepaid.  The problem is that they can’t get my account to work.  I activated/transferred over my number to Koodo Prepaid 3 weeks ago and after several calls, I still can’t log in.

I’d be happy with Koodo prepaid.  The problem is that they can’t get my account to work.  I activated/transferred over my number to Koodo Prepaid 3 weeks ago and after several calls, I still can’t log in.

Welcome to the club. Been with them for 10+ years. Still seems to be run by the C-minus students, as it’s not a terrific revenue source, just a stepstone to graduate folks to a monthly.