Koodo Community
Question

What countries are included in the "1000 Intl LD min Bonus V2" add-on?

• 14 January 2024
  • 10 replies

I presently have a free add-on “1000 Intl LD min Bonus V2”, but I’ve forgotten the details and cannot find them anywhere on the site.
What countries are included in this add-on?  Does the list change from time to time, or is my list of countries ‘locked in’?
If I change to a different monthly plan, can I transfer this add-on as-is?

My current plan also specifies “ Unlimited international messaging (text & picture) “.  What is the difference from the perk called “ Unlimited International SMS (from Canada) “?

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When did you had the add-on?. The countries in the addon is "locked in". The list of the countries should be visible in your selfserve. Go to your selfserve and check the plan and addon, check the addon there. It should give you the countries.

If you change the plan, your addon might not be available. However you should be able to see which addon you can keep and which would be removed when changing it.

Your plan is an "old plan" where international message was included. That allows you to send sms and MMS internationally. Newer plan only had "Canada wide" messaging", and customer had to add the "perk" of international message to send messages international without any additional cost.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Pete M The specific add-on you have includes these countries: India, Germany, China, Hong Kong, Bangladesh, Italy, Mexico, Australia & Taiwan.

It should show the countries online under your add-ons. If not pls let us know.

@Pete M The specific add-on you have includes these countries: India, Germany, China, Hong Kong, Bangladesh, Italy, Mexico, Australia & Taiwan.

It should show the countries online under your add-ons. If not pls let us know.

As I mentioned in my last response, I had checked and there were no countries listed.
I had another look now and there are still no countries listed.

I DID however notice that the add-on has been renamed/switched from “1000 Intl LD min Bonus V2” to “ 1000 Int'l LD min Bonus “.  What is the reason for this change?

That is a rather odd mix of countries.  The only one I’d be interested in is Greece which isn’t listed.  I am searching for my conversation with the rep that signed me up, to see what was mentioned.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Seems like you had one of the older add-ons that has a smaller list. Even the current perk version with newer plans that has 28 nations does not have Greece listed as a country.

The selection of countries is likely a combination of diasporas in Canada + the willingness for a bilateral roaming deal that’s low cost.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Pete M Your add-on always had a that extension in its name.  Ever since you joined. It’s not the same as the one without. There are number long distance add-on of this kind and the countries change from time to time. The list of countries should be in self serve, but we will ask the team to take a look why you can’t see them.

As far as calling Greece, the rates are quite high (well over $1 a minute), but you may want to look at TELUS home phone plan, a, based on this page, provides you with $0.07/minute:

https://www.telus.com/en/home-phone/long-distance

Depending on the frequency of your calls the above may or may not make more sense to think about. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you prefer to stay with Koodo and just need to call Greece, you could also check out MyTello. Calls to Greece are only about 1-6ct/min (depending if you call a landline or cellphone).

@Pete M Your add-on always had a that extension in its name.  Ever since you joined. It’s not the same as the one without. There are number long distance add-on of this kind and the countries change from time to time. The list of countries should be in self serve, but we will ask the team to take a look why you can’t see them.

Yes that’s why I was asking.  In my contract the add-on has a “V2” extension.  Under ‘My add-ons’ until a few days ago the V2 was always there.   Yesterday the V2 just disappeared and the add-on was just plain “ 1000 Int'l LD min Bonus”.  I thought it strange and asked about it.

I just looked again and the V2 extension is back now.  Maybe it was just a temporary glitch?
There is still no list of countries showing so maybe something needs fixing on the back-end.

I’ve made note of the countries you listed, thank you.  Something more official would be nice, but my main question is answered.   I’m thinking of switching to a different plan and wanted to make sure I’m not losing anything of value to me.

As far as calling Greece, the rates are quite high (well over $1 a minute), but you may want to look at TELUS home phone plan, a, based on this page, provides you with $0.07/minute:

https://www.telus.com/en/home-phone/long-distance

Depending on the frequency of your calls the above may or may not make more sense to think about. 

Between Skype, Viber and Messenger, I’ve been able to make all my calls for almost free.  If Greece was included in my Koodo LD add-on, that would have been nice, but I don’t really need it.
I’ll be contacting MDUL to renew my Optic and home services, so I might ask what they can offer me.

If you prefer to stay with Koodo and just need to call Greece, you could also check out MyTello. Calls to Greece are only about 1-6ct/min (depending if you call a landline or cellphone).

Telus has the best network, so I don’t plan on leaving any time soon lol.  I’ve been using Skype on the rare occasions I need to call a land-line.  Their mobile pay-per-use rates are a bit expensive but I never need to use it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Glitches do happen. Without any change in price nor countries offered, I wouldn’t worry. It’s good though that you have many options.