Koodo Community
Question

What are the upsides and downsides of switching from a monthly to a prepaid plan?

• 6 October 2023
  • 5 replies

I’m currently on a $55 monthly plan, but I’d like to switch to a promotional $35 prepaid plan. Besides the differences in data, calling, and some other features, are there any pros and cons I should know?

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Prepaid has roaming booster for the US but no international roaming at all.

Also billing is per 30 days.

If you load up on boosters when it makes it difficult to move if you havent used them since you forfeit anything in the account if you decide to leave.

If you change your baseplan, do so the day before your base plan expires or else it renews and then when you change it, it renews again, resulting in the loss of that 1 month or baseplan that renewed.

Thanks! Just to be sure I understand you correctly, are boosters the equivalent of top-up (e.g., buying a top-up card monthly)? As in I can prepay for X number of months using the current promotional price of $35, but I’ll forfeit all the months I didn’t use if I decide to move to a monthly plan again?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Prepaid only works with Bell/Telus towers. No EXT roaming: If you are on monthly and only a Rogers tower is available, you will probably get service, but definitely not with prepaid. No wifi calling. On-line help at FB or X is virtually non-existent. Account software is improving, but still buggy. Close your account and you will lose everything in your stockpile.

On the positive side: no magic accidental roaming that seems to consume about a third of the complaints here. Can’t rack up a big bill because you only get what you’ve paid for in advance and no arguments with any credit bureau. You can buy minutes/data etc that roll over (never expire) though at rate$ that will discourage any heavy user.

Great for the occasional user.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That would happen for a topup as well.  But a booster would be if you used a topup to buy something like 1GB of data.

So if you bought like 10 of the 1GB data boosters, and then you leave Koodo prepaid all those boosters or topups your added to your account will be forfeited.

Userlevel 4

Wifi calling is not available with prepaid should that feature be important to you.