Koodo Community
Question

Trying to upgrade phone, won't let me keep my plan

I’m trying to upgrade my phone to a ‘new’ pre-certified phone - every time I get to the cart, no matter which phone I choose, it tells me my current plan doesn’t support Stream+ so I have to choose a new, more expensive plan.

I don’t currently have Stream+. I don’t want Stream+. Nothing on any of the phones say Stream+ is required.  

This is unacceptable bait and switch tactics - either Koodo is trying to force me to get a more expensive plan for no reason, or trying to force me to pay for a service I don’t want and have zero need for, or they are trying to do BOTH.

At this point I’m ready to join my husband’s Fido plan, as Koodo is getting worse and worse by the day.  At least they don’t force him to unnecessarily upgrade his plan or get stupid services he doesn’t want just to upgrade his phone.

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can just scroll down to bottom of the page and choose " skip add-on".

They are not forcing you to add stream +

And if your husband is happy with Fido's plan and service, why not add your line onto his account?

I would love to do that, but like I said, I’ve tried checking out with multiple phones and not one of them give me an option about Stream+, much less a way to skip it.

It’s not on the phone page, it’s not on the plan page - if it’s somewhere else, please tell me as of now there is no way to remove it and the only way forward is to cancel Koodo or choose a more expensive plan, and I’m definitely not getting a more expensive plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Could you share a screenshot of this message that you are seeing?

It is true that you may not be able to keep your old plan if it doesn’t fit in with the current tab requirements or is an older plan but it shouldn’t have anything to do with stream+.

https://imgur.com/a/hJvcodF

This is the only time Stream+ is ever mentioned, on the page where it’s forcing me to choose a new plan for an addon I don’t want and never selected - not that it even game me the option to choose it or not, it’s forcing it on me.

As for the Tab, the phone says it will be $0 on Tab Basic - but again, I’ve tried many different types of phones, all make me change my plan.

This is Koodo using an addon I don’t want to try and make me switch out of my grandfathered plan - if I’m going to have to pay new plan prices I might as well go to Fido and get on my husband’s plan.  At least they haven’t jerked him around like this yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What plan do you have currently?

It’s not a current plan, it’s just 2GB of data - it’s one I got years ago and have been continuously grandfathered in. When I upgraded my phone two years ago this wasn’t a problem, and I don’t need more than the 2GB as I’m almost never off wifi.

I found the name of it, Canada-wide $45

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s not a current plan, it’s just 2GB of data - it’s one I got years ago and have been continuously grandfathered in. When I upgraded my phone two years ago this wasn’t a problem, and I don’t need more than the 2GB as I’m almost never off wifi.

Let me flag a rep to help you out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @reverin 

It seems to be due to your plan being no longer current.

We have sent you a PM, so we can further assist. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you don’t need tab support, buy a reconditioned phone from a reliable vendor and install your current SIM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I found the name of it, Canada-wide $45

Just 2gb for $45? I'd say you would be much, much better off with one of Koodo's newer plans... Or even prepaid (but then you'd have to buy your phone outright or course). You shouldn't be paying more than $35 for such a plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It seems more like it's just letting you know that you can't get stream +, should you want it, rather than you have to get it. The plan being old is what's triggering the system to make you change plans when getting a phone on tab. You could try tab basic to see if it'll still work. Does it?

But also right now there is a 45 dollar plan with 6gb of data. You'd be paying the same rate for triple the data, and that's not even the best plan options as those are during black Friday and boxing day with the best deals of the year.