Koodo Community
Solved

new 250MB bonus on $15 Prepaid

I have been on Koodo $15 Prepaid with automatic top-up  for many years . Can I change to the current new $15 Prepaid with added 250MB monthly bonus without losing my current 10% discount from having automatic top-up ?

Thanks 

icon

Best answer by Sophia 7 March 2022, 15:29

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

39 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @teeemster27 the answer is: we don’t know yet. We’re still waiting for Koodo’s verdict on that one. See this discussion: 

In summary: hold off until we get the final answer :)

will do .thanks sophia . 

Userlevel 1

I didn’t lose the discount changing from an older $15 plan to the current one a few years ago, though that’s no guarantee. But don’t change until your current plan is about to renew - you’ll be charged immediately for the new plan so could pay double for up to a month.

thanks joe

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Right, and currently Koodo’s OFFICIAL stance is that you lose your 10% bonus when you switch plans.

Whereas I’m 99% certain that they made that statement in error, I also wouldn’t want to encourage to change plans until we know for SURE that their policy hasn’t changed.

Edit, here’s Koodo’s official stance:

- Is the Bonus data only for new customers? If someone already has the 10% discount and switches to the new plans, would they get the bonus data as well?

As long as customers sign up for automatic top up on any plan that has it available, they will be eligible to receive the allotted bonus data. Since this is something only for legacy customers, if they switch plans they will lose their 10% discount

Userlevel 1

Another question: Is this offer limited to new customers only? It’s not listed as a plan on the prepaid site and would explain the “and sign up for automatic renewal”.  I hope someone knows the answer.

Even losing the 10% discount is much less than the cost of the equivalent data boosters. My plan just renewed so will wait & check for more information. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s very confusing, Joe. Like yourself I successfully changed plans in the past and kept the 10% discount. Koodo has never changed policy like that before and I just don’t believe they changed that now. But… we can’t be sure.

As for new customers only: no, it would apply to new and old customers for sure. The only question that remains is if you can keep the 10% discount. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks, Sophia.  Whatever the outcome, Koodo still offers an affordable option with data boosters, so no complaints.

I have also changed plans in the past without losing my 10% discount .

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well, I finally heard back from Koodo :relaxed: It’s exactly as we suspected: it’s still working the way we figured, it’s just no longer officially supported. So my advise is go ahead and change your plan - officially “YMMV” but  unofficially I can basically guarantee you’ll be able to have your cake and eat it :grinning:

Not sure how long the promo will still be in place, so now the difficult decision will be for you whether to change your plan now and forfeit the rest of your cycle, or wait till the last day and hope that the promo is still active!

Thanks Sophia . 

Userlevel 1

I know this plan exists, but it’s not shown as an option, so how to select it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This person posted a screenshot of the plans and successfully changed - if you pick any of them, you should be getting the bonus :)

Hi Joe,

When you select the $15 plan in the options , the 250MB that is not shown in the list will show up .

Userlevel 1

In looking at the competition - Lucky & Public at least - 250 MB data is included in the $15/month plan, as well as 100 min, etc.

Perhaps this bonus will be available permanently. I don’t know for sure but it seems likely.

Koodo doesn’t seem to share information well, like whether data boosters are 3G or 4G speed. I suspect 3G since it would be to their advantage to say otherwise since the competition is clearly 3G.

I think the 250MB bonus is 3G and the booster data is 4G .

Userlevel 1

Thanks teemster27,

Wonder why Koodo doesn’t trumpet this information as a why-you-should-choose- Koodo benefit? Or maybe it’s in the fine print somewhere, and who reads/remembers that stuff? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We actually had a big discussion about (bonus) data and their various speeds:

So, if you scroll down a little, the official answer (which we all know isn’t ALWAYS the correct answer ^_^) is and I’ll quote:

- Is the Bonus data for signing up to Auto-Top-up 3G or 4G?

Bonus data will be given at whatever speed the purchased price plan is on (eg. 3G price plan bonus data will be 3G only, 4G price plan bonus data will be 4G only)

- What happens to existing 4G boosters?

Boosters will automatically throttle to the customer’s purchased plan speed. If a customer decides to switch from a 4G plan to a 3G plan with existing boosters still on their account, the remaining data will be throttled to 3G.

- Is it possible to choose which speed you want to use if you have a 3G plan with a 4G booster. 3G for browsing but then switch to 4G for streaming?

Unfortunately no, boosters will automatically throttle to whichever speed a customer’s price plan is currently on. Customers will not have the option to switch speed tiers based on their data activity.

Userlevel 3

thank you to Sophia for following up on this and providing an answer to teeemster17’s question. I, too, am a long time $15 per month prepaid user. My original plan then included a 10% discount for auto top up, then they added 250mb of data, now they’ve added 100 minutes of talk. I love prepaid because of the US boosters, I spend winters in the US and I like their roaming boosters, that’s the main reason I stick with Koodo. I buy Canadian data booster for when I’m home. I just changed my base plan from $15 & 250mb to $15 & 100 minutes, and upon updating I see I have the bonus 250mb and retained my 10% auto top up discount. I did it the day before my regular monthly plan renewed. thank you Sophia, for all your help and direction!

Userlevel 1

Has the 250 become 500 MB? Trying to change my old $15 plan (no data) but this isn’t shown. I’m already signed up for automatic top-ups. We’re we too quick to switch? As was stated, Koodo offers the same deals to current & new customers. Sophia, could you look into this, please? 

From the Koodo site:

Userlevel 3

That’s interesting news! I just changed to the $15 plus 100 minutes, with 250mb bonus with autopay. Now there is a bigger autopay bonus of 500mb? How do I get that???

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Wow… that would make that plan AWESOME. I’d be tempted to move back to prepaid ^_^

I have a feeling that this is a mistake in the listing… so make sure you take a screenshot and present it in case they won’t honor the deal. Then quickly change your plan… you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain!

In the meantime, I’ll ask our liaison if people would need to change plans AGAIN to get this new deal.

Userlevel 3

Hi Sophia,

thank you for the quick response and your following up with your liaison, this really is very attractive, prefer to stay with Koodo over moving to Shaw!

Userlevel 1

Thanks, Sophia. I can’t see how this can be an error; it’s on the website, pretty definite there’s a bonus for automatic top ups as usual. The 250 MB option wasn’t shown until switching from the old $15 plan - I thought that was strange & now this is stranger. Typical of Koodo?

Awaiting your contact’s news on how to claim the bonus.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Awaiting your contact’s news on how to claim the bonus.

That makes two of us! I’ll nudge them but pretty sure we won’t hear till tomorrow, or even after the weekend… fingers crossed it’ll be tomorrow :)