Skip to main content
Solved

incoming international text and pictures

• 7 November 2021
  • 10 replies

I have family in Australia who want to communicate using texts as well as send pictures. I have "unlimited" international messaging (text and pictures) but I'm not sure what that actually means. Can I receive texts and pictures from Australia for free or does it cost me? And can I send texts and pics to Australia from Canada for free? 

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which plan are you on? Does that plan have data? 

The Koodo plan includes SMS and MMS to international destination. So yes, it is “free”. However, MMS requires cellular data to be ON to be sent/received. 

Also, if you use iMessage or other app (viber/whatsapp), you will use your cellular data. Make sure you have enough data for those. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

iMessage, Viber and Whatsapp will also work through wifi as long as you're connected. MMS is the only one that specifically requires cellular data.

The Koodo plan includes SMS and MMS to international destination. So yes, it is “free”. However, MMS requires cellular data to be ON to be sent/received. 

Also, if you use iMessage or other app (viber/whatsapp), you will use your cellular data. Make sure you have enough data for those. 

I have the 4gb plan, which is probably enough right now because I use WiFi when possible. I use Messages app for texting. I send and receive texts and pictures within Canada frequently. The pictures do use a very small amount of data, but it's too small to worry about. However,  I don't want to incure a bunch of charges by recieving images and text with the family in Australia, so I've been trying to figure out just what my plan includes . I'm pretty sure it includes unlimited texting TO Australia but I still don't know about recieving texts FROM Australia. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have the 4gb plan, which is probably enough right now because I use WiFi when possible. I use Messages app for texting. I send and receive texts and pictures within Canada frequently. The pictures do use a very small amount of data, but it's too small to worry about. However,  I don't want to incure a bunch of charges by recieving images and text with the family in Australia, so I've been trying to figure out just what my plan includes . I'm pretty sure it includes unlimited texting TO Australia but I still don't know about recieving texts FROM Australia. 

incoming text is always free, it doesn't matter where the message is from. Receiving a text message from a Australian number is the same receiving from a Canadian number. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Both incoming and outgoing messages are unlimited. The small amount of data used to send pictures via MMS is also zero rated, so it doesn't count against your total usage. 

Thanks ery much for that info, I didn't realize that. Are pictures considered the same as text then? ... that is, free. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks ery much for that info, I didn't realize that. Are pictures considered the same as text then? ... that is, free. 

To make sure we are on the same page, which phone are you using? When you mentioned “pictures”, you meant picture sent by the normal defaut message app or other services like whatsapp, Viber, etc? 

pictures if sent as MMS are “free”, but if they are sent by imessage, viber or other 3rd party app, they will use your data. You have 4gB of data, it should be more than enough though. 

To make sure we are on the same page, which phone are you using? When you mentioned “pictures”, you meant picture sent by the normal defaut message app or other services like whatsapp, Viber, etc? 

pictures if sent as MMS are “free”, but if they are sent by imessage, viber or other 3rd party app, they will use your data. You have 4gB of data, it should be more than enough though. 

I’m a Samsung Galaxy A32 5G. I’ve been using Messages app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m a Samsung Galaxy A32 5G. I’ve been using Messages app. 

Yes pictures sent and received will he free as well using the messages app

Thanks so much for all your help.