Skip to main content

I am a Telus customer interested in switching to Koodo’s $15/month plan, described here: https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans

The messaging available is "text only". The fine print says that "Pay-per-use rates” apply for multimedia messages. How much does the pay-per-use cost, please, if I were to join this plan and send or receive MMS messages? Thanks.

(Because I am not yet a Koodo customer, I do not have the ability to log in to “Self Serve” etc.)

Canada-wide and international picture and video messaging is not included and will incur PPU charges of 30 ¢ per outgoing message.

International text messaging is not included and will incur PPU charges of 15 ¢ per outgoing message.

Thanks! What about incoming messages?

(I hope Koodo will consider posting a hyperlink from their fine-print page to your helpful answer.)

Incoming messages are free. That's why Allan specifically said outgoing. You cannot be reasonably expected to pay for something you cannot control (receiving texts).

Thanks Goran! I beg to differ, though -- in Canada, you CAN pay for incoming texts. It was not a stupid question.

Look no further than Koodo’s parent! In my current Telus plan, called Starter 10, I have to pay for additional *incoming* texts, if I send or receive more than 50 messages in a month.

But thanks for clarifying. I hope the ‘Nitty Gritty’ page can have a hyperlink to this kind of useful info.

How old is this plan? It’s been many years, IIRC, since there were plans that didn’t have unlimited texting that also would charge for incoming texts. I vaguely recall a limited number of texts with Telus as well from 16 years ago when I first got a cell phone plan.

There definitely should be a hyperlink to take you to the pay-per-use rates.

Goran: It was marketed to me some two or three years ago and I switched to that plan from another Telus plan.

More about their plan is here: https://www.cellphones.ca/cell-plans/basic-6691

Interesting. I guess they still do that with very low cost prepaid plans. At any rate, you have much more texting, calling, and data options with either the postpaid starter or prepaid plans with Koodo. If you feel yourself having to watch over how much you use it, it's well worth switching for the extra 5 dollars a month I think.

Also I noticed you said it's not a stupid question. I wasn't implying that it was. The intent was to emphasize that it was for outgoing only with Koodo that is extra.

Goran: according to thesaurus.com, 'stupid' is an antonym of 'reasonable'.
But thank you again for your assistance.