Koodo Community
Question

Extremely slow upload relative to download

• 3 December 2023
  • 1 reply

I just signed up to a 5G plan. The upload speed is throttled to such a degree where it is not usable for video calls.  I am getting around 100-150mbps download on 5g in my home area, and less than 10mbps (6-10) up. On LTE, I get 80-100 mpbs, and a similar upload rate.

Testing in other 5G areas around the city, I have gotten 250mbps down and 50mbps up.  If 50mbps is the upload limit, there is no reason why I should not be able to achieve similar upload speeds when I can achieve over 50mbps download (in my case, 100-150 mbps as I stated above).

There is no mention that upload speeds would be throttled at all on any of the plan information pages.  And now to find out that the upload is throttled, and to such a degree where I cannot use the service, is unacceptable. I ask that the upload rate limit is increased.

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Firstly, 5G wasn’t a magical pill that solve everything. It works fine if you stay close to a 5G tower. Moving away from it, you are having the same issue as issue of LTE.

Uploading speed is something else. It was just the limit of the cellular network. You get a better connection if you are in a good location as usual. This article might help https://www.itworldcanada.com/article/canadas-network-performance-remains-relatively-unchanged-compared-to-last-quarter-finds-ookla-report/493334