Koodo Community
Solved

Do "Unlimited International SMS" incur Long-distance charges ?

• 9 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

A few days ago I received a text from Koodo that suggested I switch to a  plan that offers 20GB instead of my current 2GB - at the Same Price.  So, I looked at the details of the new plan.

My 2GB plan had always included “Unlimited international messaging (text and picture)”.

The new plan I would switch to includes “Unlimited Canada-wide messaging”  Plus  the “Perk” “Unlimited International SMS”.

It appears that if I switch, nothing will change for me except the amount of included data - from 2GB to 20GB.

But I decided to look at the “Legal Stuff”.  

The “Legal Stuff” at the bottom of the “Mobile services > Change my plan” page says:

Includes text and picture messages sent and received anywhere in Canada. Long-distance rates apply to text messages sent internationally from Canada.

Question for the Koodo Reps:   Does the small print above (in bold) mean that “Unlimited International SMS” is only as unlimited as my funds are? 

icon

Best answer by Allan M 9 April 2023, 14:51

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So with that plan you get the option of a free perk.

If you choose the unlimited international texting perk as your perk, then you’d be covered, if you don’t, then you’d only have canada wide texting and would be charged otherwise.

Userlevel 1

Who marked my question as being “solved”? 

Does it look like my question has been answered?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which part of the question do you consider unanswered?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Who marked my question as being “solved”? 

Does it look like my question has been answered?

What you are seeing is your plan before the perk is added. The unlimited international texting perk will cancel out Canada-wide texting when you activate the perk.

Please note that perks can't be selected at the time of purchasing a plan and can only be selected and manually activated in Self Serve after your account has been set up.

Userlevel 1

Which part of the question do you consider unanswered?

OK I’ll bite.  The only sentence in my posting that ends with a question mark is the question.

If that isn’t clear enough,  the Title of my posting is the question.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Could you explain in more detail what is still not clear after both Allan and rikkster went out of their way to try and help you? That would be a lot more helpful than just making a general statement that your question wasn't answered.

Which it was, twice now, but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be all clear to you. We not mind readers, so if there is anything you want further explanation on you will have to ask specifically.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Stone here’s the info about the perk.

Unlimited International SMS: Send and receive unlimited international SMS and MMS from anywhere in Canada, free of charge.

It’s a little different from your previous 2 GB plan because your plan at that time included unlimited international messaging. This time around, you just have to activate the perk and you will have the same messaging service as your previous plan, with no long-distance messaging charges and a lot more data!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

OK I’ll bite.  The only sentence in my posting that ends with a question mark is the question.

If that isn’t clear enough,  the Title of my posting is the question.

I think I answered the title of the question!

If you choose the international texting perk with your plan, then you don’t incur extra charges.

if you don’t add the perk/opt for a different one, then your plan only has canada wide texting so you’d be charge for anything international☺️