Koodo Community
Solved

Do I need to activate Pay-Per-Use Roaming?

Hey community,

I’m going abroad in a couple of weeks and want to be sure everything will work there. Do I need to activate the Pay-Per-Use add-on or everything is supposed to be activated by default? I’m not going to use Easy Roam over there, just want to keep ability to receive texts to my Canadian number. Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Bernard Koodo 6 July 2023, 14:24

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which country are you going to? If you are not traveling to us, you will need the international voice addon at least to roam. Depending on how you activated your line at the time of activation, that addon could be a part of easyroam. 

As of now when you sign into selfserve and check plan and addon, which addon did you have? If possible, can you post a snapshot of it here? (Hide/delete all personal information before posting please)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Marina Bulan Your line has everything you need for roaming. Bear in mind we do not any of the network or infrastructure outside of Canada and coverage and quality of service is dependent on local providers. Have a safe travel!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you only intend to receive sms, you would want to make sure you minimize the chance of incurring roaming fees. You can turn off data roaming in your settings, and remove “international data roaming” from your add-ons. Doing so, you should only be able to call and text. 

Thank you all!

Which country are you going to? If you are not traveling to us, you will need the international voice addon at least to roam. Depending on how you activated your line at the time of activation, that addon could be a part of easyroam. 

As of now when you sign into selfserve and check plan and addon, which addon did you have? If possible, can you post a snapshot of it here? (Hide/delete all personal information before posting please)

Going to Russia, looks like there’re several providers there that Koodo is partnering with:

Here’s what I have in my self service:

Should I remove the International Data Roaming add-on or turning off Cellular Data and Data Roaming on my iPhone will be enough?

Also, I remember iPhone has some issues with receiving SMS without internet, does it mean I’ll be getting them only when WiFi is on?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Technically you only have to turn off both data roaming and cellular data to avoid accidental roaming fee with data usage 

you can try to remove the international data roaming addon but I think the system right now didn’t allow it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you dont want Easy roam, remove the Easy Roam add-ons.

Also if you use imessage on iphone or RCS on android, make sure you disable send as text if unable to send as RCS/imessage.  This will prevent any accidental texting when you think you are sending a message via wifi.

Hey community,

I’m finally abroad and Easy Roam just turned on even though I really didn’t want it to. I tried to remove the add-on “International Easy Roam (pay-per-use)” add-on as it was suggested here before I left, but it kept giving me an error so I thought that it something that can’t be removed and it had the “pay-per-use” in its name and that kind of roaming I wanted to have on. But yesterday I made a 2 minute call and it turned on the Easy Room for 16$! That’s totally unfair! I don’t need it at all! I tried to remove the add-on again and it gave me the same error - something went wrong, schedule a call with Koodo assist, blah blah… I can’t, I’m in roaming!

Any idea how to remove the Easy Roam from my account while I’m not in country???

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Let me flag a rep for you to help remove the Easy Roam add-on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello @Marina Bulan 

It is best to maintain the Easy Roaming package, since you are in an international region, pay-per use costs would be much higher in the case that you need to use the service. Maintaining the data roaming off as @Goran  mentioned, would avoid any accidental usage. 

Receiving text messages do not trigger the Easy Roam. Details on how you are charged while traveling here. 

So Easy Roam would trigger only if you permit it, by calling or answering a call and even sending text messages, If the Data roaming option is maintained off.  

Since you mentioned that you are going to Russia, the rates for pay per use are as follows:

Voice rate (per minute) $3.50
Data $10/MB
Outgoing SMS $0.60

Let us know if you still want to remove the Easy Roam feature. 

I would also recommend that you log in with the e-mail address that you have with your Self Serve account.