Koodo Community
Question

Device care complete poor for lost device

• 18 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Phone has about $300 left on tab when was lost/stolen.  Device Care Complete (Asurion) wants $400 replacement fee.  Fee not based on my cell at all as it was a refurbished model now several years old.  Based instead on a new model of same type, yet they are still only going to replace it with a similarly old model. How foolish of me to pay the $15 each month for this useless insurance scam.   Any suggestions?  I tried calling Asurion twice but got the same hard line. (Take it or leave it.)  If I had known how little goodness there was for me in this insurance, I would have been a fool to buy it.  Pass that on!

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What kind of phone was it?

It is true though, Device Care is like any other insurance and has certain deductibles. Sometimes it makes sense to go through with it, other times it doesn’t.

Phone was: RFB A SAMSUNG GALAXY S10 PLUS BLACK 128G

I decided not to go through with it.  The deductible was more than what I owed on it and more than what this older phone was worth in my opinion.  It was a refurbished phone purchased significantly less than full price and probably had only one year left of updates.

I also cancelled that insurance part of the plan as the “insured” phone is now lost and substituted with an old phone.  The 13 months I paid for that insurance was a total loss to me.  I consider Koodo also responsible for this fraud as they allow this rip off of their customers, so I will likely consider another company when the term is up.  But are any of the other suppliers  better?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yea, as I mentioned, there are different phones and different scenarios where it does/doesn’t make sense.

You can find out your service fees here before your get your next phone if you decide you may want it. Some phones have cheaper deductibles than others: https://www.phoneclaim.com/koodo/

I’m not 100% sure on every other carrier but the insurance programs with most, if not all, have deductibles:

Fido: Monthly Fee between $7-$19/m + Deductible up to $400
Virgin Plus: Monthly Fee between $13-$22/m + Deductible up to $599
Koodo: Monthly Fee: $15/m + Deductible up to $650