Koodo Community
Question

Add MMS text to $15 starter plan?

• 11 October 2023
  • 5 replies

I just signed my son up for the $15 starter plan but all of his friends are sending MMS texts which he can’t read.  I’m assuming this is because they are pictures?  Is there a way to add this to the plan?  My other son has a grandfathered plan for $25 and pay-per-use Data but that doesn’t seem to be available anymore and it seems ridiculous to pay $35 for a talk & text only plan just so he can receive MMS texts.  Sounds like Public Mobile might be an option but I’d really rather not switch

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo does not currently have an MMS add-on.

You will need to switch to the Koodo Prepaid or Public mobile $15 plan to get MMS.

Personally I would select Public mobile as they have a better self serve experience 

So I tried calling Koodo for assistance and the person I spoke with said the Starter Plan includes unlimited free incoming MMS.  However we can’t get them to open on his phone.  I was told to “turn-off the WIFI and data” - why would this make a difference?  I said that seems ridiculous that he would have to keep turning off the WIFI everytime he wants to read a text message.  No explanation and it doesn’t seem to make a difference.  Still can’t open the incoming MMS messages. Any suggestions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So I tried calling Koodo for assistance and the person I spoke with said the Starter Plan includes unlimited free incoming MMS.  However we can’t get them to open on his phone.  I was told to “turn-off the WIFI and data” - why would this make a difference?  I said that seems ridiculous that he would have to keep turning off the WIFI everytime he wants to read a text message.  No explanation and it doesn’t seem to make a difference.  Still can’t open the incoming MMS messages. Any suggestions?

I think you were confused between MMS and SMS. From what I saw the starter plan included only SMS. if you used MMS, they had a note saying “Pay-per-use rates apply for multimedia (picture and video) messages. Excludes premium and subscription-based messages.

SMS and MMS doesn’t need Wifi to work. However, MMS need Cellular Data to be ON to be sent/received (and for starter plan, you might have to pay extra for it).

I recommend you look into prepaid plan. Starter plan wasn’t designed to be a plan for MMS.

I’m not confused about the difference.  The plan clearly says unlimited incoming MMS messages.  There is a pay-per-use rate for sending which I understand.  The part I didn’t understand was that the customer service person kept telling me I had to turn off the Data and WIFI to receive the incoming messages which made no sense.  I ended up hanging up because they kept insisting that was the answer. 

I understand now that the Data has to be ON to receive the messages (so the exact opposite of what the help person told me).  Will try that and see and yes looking into switching to prepaid.  Thanks for that suggestion

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am not sure where it said unlimited incoming MMS. Was it some detail in selfserve or on your service agreement?. From their plan page, there was no mention of it. (see below)

If you had unlimited incoming mms and wanted to use it, you could look into the option of getting the data block add-on for $3(but allowing mms to go through). Edited: you didn't need the add-on as you have 250 mb of shocked free data.