Koodo Community
Solved

Poor signal in Airdrie AB

• 20 October 2022
  • 6 replies

I have lived in the Hillcrest area in Airdrie, AB for the last two years, and the cellular signal is really awful - LTE is pretty much non-existent where I live, and I have to switch my cellular mode to 3G to be able to use my phone at all. Even then, I can only rely on the signal if I go outside. Inside the house, the signal frequently gets dropped.

What is being done to improve the reliability of calls in this area ?

Fred

icon

Best answer by rikkster 22 October 2022, 11:49

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo is operating on Telus network. It was hard to ask them to build a new tower in your area in the forum or by calling customer service unless they already had a plan to do so.

If you are a postpaid customer, have you tried wifi calling? It helped in area with poor cellular signal https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling

I have WiFi calling enabled, but it only works with VoLTE enabled, and since I cannot get a decent LTE signal where I’m located, it’s no use. See below from the FAQ you linked to :

WiFi calling can only be enabled for VoLTE subscribers. If you’re a Prepaid subscriber, the option to enable WiFi calling will not be presented or supported.

Thanks.

Fred

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have WiFi calling enabled, but it only works with VoLTE enabled, and since I cannot get a decent LTE signal where I’m located, it’s no use. See below from the FAQ you linked to :

WiFi calling can only be enabled for VoLTE subscribers. If you’re a Prepaid subscriber, the option to enable WiFi calling will not be presented or supported.

Thanks.

Fred

Eh, not really. It should work as long as you had a compatible device and “volte access” add on in your self service 

So I have an iPhone8, which is compatible, I have VoLTE access enabled in my add-ons, but I’m not seeing the option to enable VoLTE on my phone - not sure why, and I’m pretty sure it was there when VoLTE was first implemented. However, the phone is showing the “WiFi” tag

Does that mean I’m good to go ?

Thanks.

Fred

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does that mean I’m good to go ?

By your screenshot, Wi-Fi Calling appears to be set up. Since there’s cellular signal showing and to temporarily simulate a no-cellular signal condition, turn on Airplane mode. Wi-Fi should remain active, as should Wi-Fi Calling. To be certain that it works, make a test Wi-Fi call. If it works, then you’re good to go! Remember to turn Airplane mode off.

If you’re not able to place a Wi-Fi call, try powering off your iPhone8, then power back on. Check to see if the ‘Enable VoLTE’ option appears on the Voice & Data screen. If the option is still not visible, there is the possibility that VoLTE access may not have been provisioned on your account. In that case, schedule a callback through Koodo Assist. In the chat box, type ‘schedule callback’. A rep should be able to provision the account for VoLTE access. The option to enable VoLTE should now be visible.

As a side note, if you cannot rely on your phone for a callback due to poor signal strength, I would suggest downloading the Fongo Mobile app. The app works over Wi-Fi or mobile data and is available for iOS and Android devices. You will get a free local phone number that can be used when scheduling a callback.

Fongo Mobile app

Thanks for the detailed explanation. The WiFi calling test worked, so I think I’m good, although I still don’t see the “Enable VoLTE” option, but I will follow through and make sure it’s all set up correctly.

Once again, thanks for the help.