Koodo Community
Question

New account request declined

• 18 June 2023
  • 7 replies

I’d like to be a postpaid customer of Koodo (currently with Rogers), but apparently I have a ‘thin’ file ( definition: limited information to determine credit score) when Koodo ran a credit report.  What options do I have to sign up with Koodo and how do I do it?  I’ve read that I could have a co-signer on my account or pay everything up front? Only interested in a post-paid plans. 

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There is that as an option potentially and the spending limit program. But it should be offered as an alternative if you don't qualify for a regular plan. Your score might not match that either. You could check with a Koodo kiosk about if you are able to qualify to be sure. Otherwise postpaid wouldn't currently be an option. Are you postpaid with Rogers currently?

@ Goran thanks for your response.

Yes I’ve had postpaid with Rogers since around 2002.  The ‘thin’ file is probably  because  I currently have only have one credit card, which is joint, though its payment is made from my account. 

So do you think if I go to a Koodo kiosk then they may be able to offer me an alternative program? 
Or is there a number I could phone to talk to a rep to review my application and I can explain my case?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes I’ve had postpaid with Rogers since around 2002.  The ‘thin’ file is probably  because  I currently have only have one credit card, which is joint, though its payment is made from my account. 

So do you think if I go to a Koodo kiosk then they may be able to offer me an alternative program? 
Or is there a number I could phone to talk to a rep to review my application and I can explain my case?

You could try to order online yourself to see if your credit profile is acceptable or not. You will need a credit card with your name to order though.

At the store, they will be able to give you the option of “spending limit program” if your credit profile wasn't good.

Userlevel 4

Are you trying to get a phone with your Post Paid Account?  Financing a phone would present more credit risk to,Koodo than a straight BYOD account.  Perhaps Koodo would  consider giving you a BYOD account, maybe not.  Either way, it sounds like you need to take some steps to build your credit so you do not have these hassles in the future.  It’s unfortunate you are being punished for not abusing credit.

You could try to order online yourself to see if your credit profile is acceptable or not. You will need a credit card with your name to order though.

At the store, they will be able to give you the option of “spending limit program” if your credit profile wasn't good.

I found out from Transunion about the ‘thin’ file after I had placed an online order.  Within a few hours applying I received an email from Koodo saying the order was cancelled because they weren’t able to verify my credit.  My bills are paid on time, but I guess not in a way they’re able to verify….

Will try to the store route. Thank you!

Are you trying to get a phone with your Post Paid Account?  Financing a phone would present more credit risk to,Koodo than a straight BYOD account.  Perhaps Koodo would  consider giving you a BYOD account, maybe not.  Either way, it sounds like you need to take some steps to build your credit so you do not have these hassles in the future.  It’s unfortunate you are being punished for not abusing credit.

BYOD

Hoping to speak to someone at Koodo to get around the credit issue! 🤞🏽

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If the store declines you then there is really no alternative.

Koodo does not really have co-signing.  The co-signer would effectively be the account owner and your name would not be on the account at all