Koodo Community
Question

“Dropped” Calls

Userlevel 1

iPhone 14 Pro w/ esim 

New client from Bell on 17-Apr

Callers keep not hearing me - “Are you there?  Hello? I can’t hear you? Click - They hang up”

This has been happening indoors, in a standard home in a room where I’m 3’ from a window. I’ve been running outside, which I don’t wish to do, to keep the call “up”. Now I’m starting to have the same issues while standing outside on my driveway. Naturally I can’t do this in the winter, nor do I want to do it EVER.

I see so many similar issues - is this just the way it is now?!?!?!?!

I moved from Bell to Koodo on 17-Apr and presume I’m under contract (my phone). Can I exit the contract to rejoin, GASP, Bell since I’ve only started with Koodo April 17th? Bell pricing wasn’t great but calls always worked.

Phone service with these call issues is not acceptable in 2023.

I’ve power cycled my phone.

This topic has been closed for comments

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do others with telus/koodo in your area have the same issue? So when outside you have no problem? Id say you should swap sims to see if the problem follows but you have an esim. Have you tried enabling VoWIFI to see if that works well at home?

You certainly could port back if it's a signal issue. It's been over 30 days so if you got the phone on a new tab with koodo, that could be an issue.

Userlevel 1

@Goran 

Thanks for the reply.

I brought my own device so no tab. I’ve just checked my service agreement and it indicates
“Agreement End Date: May 12, 2023 renews month to month”. So I can leave when I wish too. My preference is to stay - if the service works as one would rationally expect it to.

My wife has been with Koodo for years and hasn’t switched phones in as long time. Using iPhone 12. She is now experiencing similar issues.

It *mostly* improves outside but it’s now showing the same symptoms there too.

Coverage area map shows we should have excellent coverage in Smiths Falls, ON.

My cellular settings show “5G Auto” - should this be set to “LTE” perhaps?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There may be an outage near Smith Falls, ON.  Koodo uses the Telus network

https://www.telus.com/outages

My phone calls have been dropping for several months sometimes back to back multiple times a day, I’m using my iPhone 10. Does anyone else seem to have the same problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My phone calls have been dropping for several months sometimes back to back multiple times a day, I’m using my iPhone 10. Does anyone else seem to have the same problem?

Are you in the Smith Falls, ON area as well?

From Smith’s Falls area as well, experiencing identical symptoms, doesn’t happen all the time. I can hear them but they can’t hear me, goes in and out. I hang up, go outside & call back. Samsung S20 FE

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

From Smith’s Falls area as well, experiencing identical symptoms, doesn’t happen all the time. I can hear them but they can’t hear me, goes in and out. I hang up, go outside & call back. Samsung S20 FE

If both you and MAC are experiencing the same issue then it could be a tower issue.

I would go to the outage page above and report the outage

I'm not sure how to explain that the outage is intermittent over several months and gets better when I stand outside

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If it gets better when you stand outside then it sounds like a signal strength issue.  Smith Falls may be on the edge of coverage so the signal in not strong enough hence increased issues when indoors

Smith's Falls shows purple in the map above but I'm beginning to agree with you that it's probably a carrier issue

I’m having the same issues of calls dropping or people not being able to hear me while I hear them.  I live in the Niagara region, which is not anywhere near Smith Falls

I live in Upper Stoney Creek near Hamilton and have the exact same problem. One Koodo agent said the signal  was fine, another said that  in my are the coverage is 50% good and 50 % bad. How’s that for a helpful answer.They offered mw a reduced cost for 10G but as I have no contract it’s useless if they don’t fix the problem!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@firstpeter315 @Peppe99 

Does anyone else you know in your area have similar issues with Telus/Koodo?

Yes, 2 neighbours a few doors down have same problems and rarely get over 1 bar.One uses Telus and one uses Bell. I know Bell shares some towers with Telus/Koodo. , I know bars don’t mean everything and don’t tell the whole story, but no dropped calls when anywhere except at home usuually showing 3-4 bars!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, 2 neighbours a few doors down have same problems and rarely get over 1 bar.One uses Telus and one uses Bell. I know Bell shares some towers with Telus/Koodo. , I know bars don’t mean everything and don’t tell the whole story, but no dropped calls when anywhere except at home usuually showing 3-4 bars!

And was the connection a lot better previously?  Or was it always bad?

Never a problem UNTIL 3-4 months ago. No dropped calls, no your breaking up, no I can’t hear you from the other end . Very recent intermittent problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Could be a tower was taken out of service or is having problems.

I would report this as an outage to the link i have posted above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Never a problem UNTIL 3-4 months ago. No dropped calls, no your breaking up, no I can’t hear you from the other end . Very recent intermittent problem.

Which device are you currently using? 

Iphones...one is a 14 one is a second generation SE. Wifes is the 14, she had a 7, thought it might be the problem, so bought a new 14, same problem so we asked for a new SIM card, same problem...no change.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Iphones...one is a 14 one is a second generation SE. Wifes is the 14, she had a 7, thought it might be the problem, so bought a new 14, same problem so we asked for a new SIM card, same problem...no change.

Have you tried inserting your SIM card in another device to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

No other device available unfortunately.But as I said, wifes 7 had the problem,,her new 14 had the problem(using same sim ) and her 14 with a brand new sim has same problem.Doesn’t that eliminate the phones being the problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No other device available unfortunately.But as I said, wifes 7 had the problem,,her new 14 had the problem(using same sim ) and her 14 with a brand new sim has same problem.Doesn’t that eliminate the phones being the problem?

Is anyone that you know on the Rogers network having the same issue in your local area? If they have a good signal, you may want to consider switching over. 

@firstpeter315 @Peppe99 

Sorry, I don’t know if anyone else around here is using Koodo.  I guess I don’t talk to anyone about their phone plans.  But it sounds the same as for Peppe99 - it was working fine until a month ago or so, and now it’s not.  I can’t test my sim in another device, either.  Unfortunately I’m on a contract for the next year and a half, as I’m paying for my iPhone through my plan.

Is this from open signal today significant? If I use a larger area,I see a good signal BUT close to my home, I get this!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@firstpeter315 @Peppe99 

Sorry, I don’t know if anyone else around here is using Koodo.  I guess I don’t talk to anyone about their phone plans.  But it sounds the same as for Peppe99 - it was working fine until a month ago or so, and now it’s not.  I can’t test my sim in another device, either.  Unfortunately I’m on a contract for the next year and a half, as I’m paying for my iPhone through my plan.

Unfortunately you are both not in the same area.

It would be helpful to ask family and friends in your area to see if they are having similar issue and if they are using Koodo/Telus