Koodo Community

Is my phone already unlocked?

• 4 November 2021
  • 0 replies
Is my phone already unlocked?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ever wonder if your Koodo phone is unlocked? You can easily test it by inserting a non-Koodo SIM into your phone. If there’s no pop up and you’re able to connect to another network, you’re in luck! It means your phone is already unlocked.

How was it unlocked you ask? That’s because all phones sold in Canada after December 2017 come pre-unlocked.

Don’t Panic! If you insert another carrier’s SIM and the device is asking for an unlock code or says SIM Not Supported, it can easily be unlocked online, for free, through Self Serve.

Before getting started, you’ll need your serial number which is also called an IMEI. Here are a few ways on where to find it:

• Dial * #06#. If it works, your IMEI will pop up
  • Or, check the SIM card tray or the original box for your IMEI number
  • If you can remove the phone's battery, look under it for a white label with a number on it

Here are the steps on how to unlock your phone online:

1. Login to Self Serve
  2. From the Self Serve dropdown menu, select Mobile services
  3. At the bottom of the page, select Unlock your phone 
  4. Enter the required information, then submit

What’s next?

• If you have an Android, we’ll show you the unlock code and send a confirmation email with the code in it. Your phone will prompt you for the code once you insert another carrier's SIM card. Note: Take extra care when copying over the code, you only have a few tries to get it right. 
  • If you have an iPhone, we’ll submit the unlock request on your behalf and Apple will unlock your phone. You’ll need to insert another carrier’s SIM card or connect to iTunes to complete the unlock process. We’ll send you a confirmation email.

Other messages you might see:

• Already unlocked: Your phone is unlocked and ready to go.
  • In progress (iOS only): Please wait 5 to 10 minutes for Apple to process your unlock request.

In some instances, an error message might pop up. If that happens, there’s a strong chance your phone is already unlocked. Start by inserting another carrier’s SIM into the phone to see if you can connect to the network. If you still can’t connect, you’ll need to send us a private message on Facebook that includes your phone model and IMEI.

Heads up! There is no way for us to unlock a phone that’s:

• Suspended as lost or stolen
  • Blacklisted
  • From a carrier other than Koodo or Telus

FAQ’s

Why would I need to unlock my phone?
The most common reason to unlock an old phone is if you’re planning on gifting it, selling it or for travel. Pssst! Why not add to the gift by referring a friend to Koodo so you can both get a credit on your account. Learn more about our referral program here: koodo.com/refer 

Do I need to unlock my phone if I’m going on vacation?
Only if you want to use a local number! If you want to use your Koodo number in the U.S. or internationally you could sign up for Easy Roam or use your phone abroad at pay-per-use rates.

I’m planning on leaving Koodo, do I need to unlock my phone?
In most cases, your phone will already be unlocked and will work with any carrier. Just remember that if you cancel your account before your Tab and/or Tab Bonus balance has reached $0, you’ll be charged any remaining balance (Tab and/or Tab Bonus) on your next bill. 

Before saying goodbye, just a friendly reminder that there are plenty of great offers available for you in Self Serve! Check them out to see if there’s a plan that’s perfect for you. Still thinking of cancelling, take a look at this helpful page that explains everything you need to know

This topic has been closed for comments