Koodo Community
Question

Paid off collection

• 11 July 2023
  • 2 replies

i paid off a settlement few days ago offered by kbm law how to go about getting it taken off credit report the person handling my file said i had to contact koodo in order for this to be done but im locked out of my account so doesnt seem to be a way to contact koodo regarding this

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you are actively dealing with debt collectors you are able to negotiate to have it removed from your credit reports as part of your debt settlement. Other than having the item in collections fall off on its own (after 7 years), this is the only way to get rid of it.

https://www.springfinancial.ca/blog/credit-tips/how-long-does-collection-stay-on-credit-report-canada#:~:text=paid%20or%20not.-,Can%20a%20collection%20agency%20remove%20an%20entry%20from%20your%20credit,part%20of%20your%20debt%20settlement.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If part of the debt was from Koodo, and the consumer proposal/ bankruptcy went ahead, all debt from that time would have to be included in it. Sometimes individual things show up as transunion/ Equifax often screw that up. But once paid in full, it should show up as such.

It sounds like a consumer proposal? Did you recently pay off the amount in full? That should have been explained that it stays on your credit report for 3 years after payment in full. It can take time for the firm you did it through, KBM in this case, to forward the proof of settlement and then for Transunion/Equifax to update the report. If you're still seeing Koodo specifically, you rather should go through transunion/Equifax to file a correction that Koodo is still showing as open, instead of closed. You'd forward proof of settlement and follow up that it was corrected. They should reach out to Koodo or the debt collection agency that got the debt. I suppose you could try to get Koodo to reach out to update them but I haven't seen that in this case