Koodo Community
Question

North America ?

What does Koodo consider North America  with regards to telephone and text services ?

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Eh, could you be more specific about your questions? Did you ask if Koodo had any North America plan?

If so, the answer is no, Koodo plans only cover service in Canada. When you travel outside of Canada, roaming fee is applied.

Specifically, when Koodo says a service is available in “North America”, what geographic regions and/or countries do they mean ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Could you maybe share a screenshot of where you’re seeing them use this?

The only place I can think about is with easy roam and it states which countries it means:

Oh, believe me, they keep it hidden. 

Buried deep inside EasyRoam (www.koodomobile.com/en/easyroam), you’ll find this little nugget:

While travelling in Honduras with EasyRoam active I called Canada to make flight arrangements. Koodo has billed me by-the-minute. I want to know if that is correct.

Every geographic reference I can find, britannica.com, nationalgeographic.org, worldatlas.com, wikipedia, etc., etc., etc., agree that Honduras is in North America. I’m wondering if Koodo has a different geography than anyone else.

Allen; As you show, EasyRoam INTL is clearly defined with specific countries listed. This is easy for everyone to understand and avoids ‘surprises’. The term ‘North America’ used in the Koodo wording (fine print) causes me concern. It seems obvious what ‘North America’ means but then why did Koodo bill me for the minutes ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I believe that in that circumstance it’s only referring to Canada and the USA. It all depends on what countries the toll free number is registered in, decided by the company itself, not Koodo.

Most companies will say where it is considered a toll free number. For example, Air Canada say their toll free number is only toll free within Canada and the U.S.

United Airlines contact us page splits up their toll free numbers by country:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/contact/reservations/usa-and-canada.html

I agree though that the website wording could use some improvement. I’ll flag a rep for you to maybe update the website and check on your account.

How am I supposed to know whether or not EasyRoam will include the call ?

The country is not specified, only the continent. The call was placed within the specified continent so therefore should be covered.

How am I supposed to know “what countries the toll free number is registered in”? I place a 1-800 call and it goes through. I can only assume it is registered in that country.

Thanks for your agreement the “website wording” can be improved.

How do I raise this to a level within Koodo so they will reconsider the situation ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Other things is that Koodo's website says " Easyroam didn't cover calling Toll free. 

So, if you are traveling and need to contact airline, it always cost us...? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How am I supposed to know whether or not EasyRoam will include the call ?

The country is not specified, only the continent. The call was placed within the specified continent so therefore should be covered.

How am I supposed to know “what countries the toll free number is registered in”? I place a 1-800 call and it goes through. I can only assume it is registered in that country.

Thanks for your agreement the “website wording” can be improved.

How do I raise this to a level within Koodo so they will reconsider the situation ?

All very valid points! I flagged a rep for you and hopefully something can be done.

Mayumi; The key point in the Koodo policy is “from outside North America”. 

Honduras is INSIDE North America and therefore should be covered.. No?

The other point is that EasyRoam seems to be setting a flat rate for daily charges while travelling, however, these vague, ‘fine print’ exclusions are like setting a trap for Koodo customers to fall into.

I agree with Allan that the website wording could use some improvement.

Allan; Thanks for flagging a rep for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @DG999 

According to https://www.koodomobile.com/, Honduras is included in “Central and South America”: 

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/easyroam

With regard to the the bill, as we discussed in the previous thread, a credit has been applied and it should be reflected on your account within 3 business days.

A suggestion will be forwarded to our support regarding the Easy Roam description when it comes to toll free numbers.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!