Koodo Community
Question

No SERVICE

Userlevel 3

I am in the US and have  a US roaming bundle. I also have a Canada wide talk bundle. My prepaid monthly talk is used up. I cannot make or receive calls on my phone. I tried to set up a call back, but I end up in an endless loop on the Koodo assist, I enter my number, then am asked to log in, even though I am already logged in. I log in again, then start the Koodo assist process again, and am asked to log in. I have been a Koodo customer for almost 10 years, and always found the service outstanding, but am now thinking of leaving! Plus, on top of this, the data included with my plan has been dropped. I need a human.

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You might have been asked to enter login for postpaid customers. Anyway if you are in the states and your Canada wide minutes ran out. You might not be able to receive incoming calls.

Regarding the roaming, which phone are you using? Did you have access to cellular data? Koodo prepaid roaming had a lot of changes recently. As stated by Koodo, you can't make/receive calls if your phone wasn't compatible with volte https://www.koodomobile.com/help/3gshutdownUS

Userlevel 3

I am entering prepaid log in. I have a Canada wide add on of over 600 minutes. I have a US roaming add on for 100 minutes. I have full access to cellular data us roaming, my phone is compatible with the 5G changes. it is a dual sim phone with second sim running on ATT network, no problems.

Userlevel 3

The U.S. 3G/HSPA network shutdowns will only affect phones that don’t support 4G LTE data and Voice over Long-Term Evolution (VoLTE) roaming. My phone is 4G LTE data capable and VoLTE is enabled

Those with an affected device will no longer be able to make or receive wireless calls (including 911 calls), send or receive text messages, or use cellular data while roaming in the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands).

Note: The U.S. shutdown won’t affect your Canadian service.

Userlevel 3

Just got off the phone with an escalated technician on my issue. Short story, Koodo US talk boosters are no longer compatible with US roaming partners due to 5G conversion. Telus/Koodo working on issue but in the meantime, I was offered a refund on my remaining balances for US Talk booster, as well as text because that is an issue in some locations as well. Koodo Post Paid is unaffected, because of course, Post Paid does not sell boosters. This has taken up almost 2 days, especially trying to get hold of a human. Very disappointed with lack of communication from Koodo on this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Glad that you had the refund.

As you insisted on the compatibility of your device with volte, which phone was it?

Userlevel 3

I declined the refund because they said they were working to fix the booster compatibility issue with the new VoLTE system in the US. So, I will give them some time, if not sorted in a few months, then I will ask for a refund. I have a dual sim, Samsung A515, so I use a Red Pocket sim in the second sim slot, Red Pocket runs on ATT, Koodo boosters run on TMobile. I have stayed loyal to Koodo for so long because the coverage in canada and Us has always been realiable, plus I love their booster system, the boosters don’t expire. Perfect system for a snowbird. The tech was very helpful, he said he gets lots of calls from prepaid US talk booster users - it’s a problem. Koodo should suspend sales of US talk boosters until the issue is sorted out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The tech was very helpful, he said he gets lots of calls from prepaid US talk booster users - it’s a problem. Koodo should suspend sales of US talk boosters until the issue is sorted out.

This has been an issue for months now, even if you have a supported phone on the Telus whitelist. Roaming will occasonally work, but only in a T-Mobile area that still has a legacy network going such as  a major airport. Ugly surprise to call normally from Philadelphia airport to organize meeting at final destination only to find zero service on landing.

Even where T-Mobile is available, services that piggyback on their network (Tello, Mint, roaming, etc) take a backseat to their regular customers. Have done tests with 3 different phones, using Koodo, Tello, AT&T.

In the long run, get ready to upgrade your Android handset  to one that is VoLTE compatible if you have not already done so. It’s probably only a matter of time before the legacy Canadian networks get turned off.

Userlevel 3

Yes, know we will have to upgrade and I will be due for a new phone in a year. My phone is Volte capable, as well as wifi. Koodo better fix soon or they'll be losing customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, know we will have to upgrade and I will be due for a new phone in a year. My phone is Volte capable, as well as wifi. Koodo better fix soon or they'll be losing customers.

Was the phone a Canadian or international model? If you had 2 physical SIM, it isn't a Canadian model and that might have some issue with Koodo Volte and VoWifi because they only supported Canadian model. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte

Userlevel 3

The tech knew what phone I have. He advised it is a koodo prepaid issue and koodo postpaid does not have an issue. My phone even works with a Tmobile sim, and prepaid roams on Tmobile. The tech advised they are working to fix the issue, so I will give them a few more months to work it out. However, if koodo cannot fix the issue, I will need to change services when I return to Canada.