Koodo Community
Solved

Applying Tax Exemption for Stream+

• 2 April 2024
  • 4 replies

I have been going back and forth on and off of phone trying to apply a tax exemption on the Subscription based Stream+. It seems like a lot of the support techs do not know of this subscription based Steam+ option. 

I emailed the Tax Exemption Department asking to apply the tax exemption to my Stream+ Subscription and they are telling me to add Stream+ as an Add-On to my regular phone bill. There are 2 different services with the same name which makes this very frustrating and confusing for both the customer and seemingly the support. The separate subscription model has Prime, Disney+ and Netflix. The Add-on version has Netflix, AppleTV and Discovery+.

Can I go through this thread to escalate this matter? Since its not an add-on to my current phone plan and billed separately as a monthly subscription, it will need to be applied to that separately.

icon

Best answer by Goran 2 April 2024, 17:07

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would have assumed anything on your Koodo bill would have been tax exempted. I thought I’d look online for what happens when you’re subscribed directly to streaming services for getting the GST/HST to not apply, and I saw the following:

https://kahnawakenews.com/netflix-and-chill-not-without-the-taxman-p3536-1.htm

Apparently CRA considers streaming services to be taxable to “status Indians” as well. Are you currently, or have you paid for, streaming services outside of the Koodo bill and got tax exempt?

I can flag a rep to confirm if you like. But the tax exemption department is likely more knowledgeable on the matter than the reps here.

Hey Goran,

Thank you for this! Things seem to be very unclear unless you do some serious digging. I had it applied to my Amazon Prime Subscription, and I guess that may make sense since Prime is a bit more than just streaming.

no need to flag a rep!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yeah I reviewed Amazon’s tax exemption FAQ and it seems to have have a lot of yes/no due to its nature of shipping items, music, audiobooks, picture cloud storage, etc.

If you continue to get no solid answers after a while, do feel free to update and a rep here could try to get something direct from the tax department.

Hey Goran, 

After the last comment, I took a look around and was mistaken. I do pay tax on Prime. No issues anymore!

Thank you!