Koodo Community
Question

Why is koodo throttling amazon prime video to the point its almost unusable? (even on the lowest quality settings).

• 26 January 2023
  • 9 replies

When connected to lte on the prime video app, video streaming is not reliable even on the lowest quality settings.  Ran several speed tests and I get high speeds, so I believe it's being throttled to the point it's almost unusable.  Tried my vpn but then the app is completely blocked from accessing the internet (also seems to be a koodo issue, works on wifi).  What's the point of selling bigger data packages if they can't even be used?  Also this was at 2am so I can't imagine it's a network congestion issue.

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo doesn’t throttle anything, they can’t in fact because it would violate privacy laws. So something else seems to be wrong, would you like us to try and troubleshoot you further?

Id appreciate any suggestions, but I'm pretty sure I've tried everything that could be suggested, which is why I came to the throttling conclusion, also the no internet access in the app when I connect to my vpn while connected to koodo is a little suspect.  I can switch over to wifi and it works fine.

Nevermind, I can just watch in web browser, seems to be fine, koodo network just not working good with the prime video app for whatever reason (tried a different carrier sim with no issues). If it's not throttling, it's some other issue on koodo's end. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Strange. Out of curiosity, how is the app behaving on WiFi?

Perfectly fine on wifi, also with a competing carriers sim card.  Which is why I had my original theory.  Uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted phone, nothing changed so now I'm in conspiracy theory mode.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which phone are you using? Was there any "low data mode" for the amazon video prime app?

If it works just fine in the web browser, I don't think Koodo throttled anything.

Its a Samsung s20  but doesnt matter.  Like I said only happens when using the app on koodo data, very strange behavior with the app, we'll never know.  I don't think it's the phone or the App since I have good data speeds, it works fine on wifi and with a different carrier sim.  Maybe it's just a bug that's only affecting me.  I'll just use the browser, thanks though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately I can’t test it, we just let Prime lapse after they increased it to $99. Hope you get it sorted!

Must have been something on koodos end, now it seems it is working normally.