Koodo Community
Solved

Why can't I get 5G?

• 17 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

I have the Samsung Galaxy A53 5G unlocked from Samsung Canada. And despite some other members on Reddit saying they have 5G service throttled to their plan. My phone still can’t get 5G signal even after doing the tricks including switching network modes, swapping perks, and removing and reinserting my SIM card. I am in a 5G signal area and my mom’s iPhone on Public Mobile has 5G service everywhere.  My plan is the $50 40 GB plan I got in the self-serve.

icon

Best answer by Allan M 18 August 2023, 01:42

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does your network selection hjave the option of 5G and it’s not doing 5G, or does your phone not have the option of selecting 5G in Network Mode under your Mobile Networks setttings?

Userlevel 2

Does your network selection hjave the option of 5G and it’s not doing 5G, or does your phone not have the option of selecting 5G in Network Mode under your Mobile Networks setttings?

My phone shows 5G in the Network Selection and it doesn't connect to 5G, only LTE/LTE+ networks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you check the coverage map to double check that you are in an area that has 5G towers?

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/network/coverage-map

And just to make sure, your plan in self serve says (5G speed) and not (4G speed)?

Userlevel 2

Can you check the coverage map to double check that you are in an area that has 5G towers?

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/network/coverage-map

And just to make sure, your plan in self serve says (5G speed) and not (4G speed)?

Yes, I am in a 5G area. My plan is 4G speed but some people say they got 5G service even under 4G speed plans.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ahh, it’s not guaranteed, just you may have it switch over from time to time depending on the current network situation in a given location. 
The only way to guarantee consistent access to 5G is to be on a 5G plan.