Koodo Community
Question

What determines signal strength/service?

• 16 February 2023
  • 8 replies

I have two koodo phones - one is an iPhone XR (~3 years old) and the second on is a new iPhone 14 (2 months old).  I use the XR, my daughter uses the 14.  We have noticed that the signal on the 14 is significantly worse - we can be sitting right next to each other in the car and I have service and she does not.  Likewise in buildings - many times she has no service and I do,  Is there any explanation for this, is there some setting that could be causing this.  I thought a newer phone would be better than my older one, but apparently not.

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you both on the same network? And same plan? Normally if a phone had connection issue, you would want to reset the network settings to see if it help.

Also, factors like phone cases, locations can affect the signal reception. 

Anyway, I recommend you switch the sim card from your phone to your daughter and vice versa to see if the issue follows.

Are you both on the same network? And same plan? Normally if a phone had connection issue, you would want to reset the network settings to see if it help.

Also, factors like phone cases, locations can affect the signal reception. 

Anyway, I recommend you switch the sim card from your phone to your daughter and vice versa to see if the issue follows.

Thanks!  Yes, we are on the same network, same account, her phone has more data so the plan is slightly different but I didn’t think the amount of data would affect cell service?  

One thing I never considered is that she has a magsafe case.  Has anyone heard of that affecting the signal strength?

How would we reset the network settings?

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You could go to Settings >> general >> transfer or reset iPhone>> reset >> reset network settings.

You could try to take the case out and test the signal. If it was from a reputable brand, normally it should be ok. Anyway. I strongly suggest you switch SIM to see if the issue was a hard ware or network problem.

Userlevel 4

It could very well be the magsafe case. There are other factors too… how the antenna inside iPhone 14 is designed, which frequency it’s using and etc. Does it ever get full signal? if not it could be a hardware issue and Apple can do a diagnostic check to verify.

Here is how to do network reset: iphone Network Reset

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Different phones can have different quality hardware. Sometimes quality control can be an issue as well. It is unlikely that a magsafe case would have any meaningful impact on signal strength. How old is the iphone 14? If after resetting network settings and seeing if the magsafe is the issue or not, you can then try swapping sim cards to see if the problem follows. If it doesn’t, you likely need to get the iphone 14 repaired. 

Ok, thanks everyone, I will try the network reset, and then switching SIM cards.  The iPhone 14 is less than  2 months old, and the Magsafe case is from Spigen, which I thought was a reputable brand.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Spigen is. It’s unlikely to be the issue I think, but it’s an easy and qucik thing to try by removing it. 

Userlevel 2

you can always try the old trick to clean the SIM with ISP and put scotchtape on the top of the SIM so it will be pushed harder on the contacts. 

I tried this trick on few phones, only a couple really made a difference. 

Metal case are the worst, and I dont know if it might be a ground issue like the iphone 4 when 2 antennas connect eachother...