Koodo Community
Question

VoLTE on OnePlus 6 ?

• 5 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve read up on the subject on Koodo, Telus, XDA, and other websites.

My OnePlus 6 has volte and vowifi enabled. My APNs and all settings are setup properly.  My SIM is ok for LTE.

My Koodo account shows volte as an add-on.

But volte does not work. It drops to 3G/H when I make a call.

Going into my phone’s *#*#4636#*#* testing menu / phone information, it shows IMS Status / Registration as “not registered”. 

Who can I contact to whitelist my IMEI so that I can use volte and vowifi? I don’t want to call  regular customer service because they will likely give me the runaround that they’ve given many other people (“incompatible device”) or not know what I’m talking about. I require a higher level technician or engineer.

BTW, I also have an LG V30 that has the same problem, yet it’s even on the Koodo list of supported devices! H933 Canada model. It was bought via Bell. My wife’s Samsung S10 (bought from Koodo) has volte and vowifi working perfectly (the testing menu shows IMS as being registered).

I’ve been a koodo customer for a very long time. I’d hate to have to move to another carrier just to be able to use my phones.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As you mentioned you read topic on the forum, Koodo only supported models listed here https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte

I never saw oneplus device in their list though. Re the LG V30, have you tried to reset it to its factory settings with the Koodo SIM in it? Also, can you put your SIM in your wife S10 to test if the issue was from your SIM or devices.

Userlevel 1

Also, can you put your SIM in your wife S10 to test if the issue was from your SIM or devices.

Yes, I had already done that. I placed my SIM into her phone and the volte still worked, i.e. not SIM-related. It’s the phone.

As we know, there are NO oneplus devices on that list, however there’s absolutely no reason for Koodo not to support them. It’s not as if the phones dont’ have the capability! I’ve read on the oneplus and Telus forums people who were able to get volte working, but only after lots of hassle w/ customer support and tech support. It’s a shame considering all the BYOD marketing and hype over the years. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Also, can you put your SIM in your wife S10 to test if the issue was from your SIM or devices.

Yes, I had already done that. I placed my SIM into her phone and the volte still worked, i.e. not SIM-related. It’s the phone.

As we know, there are NO oneplus devices on that list, however there’s absolutely no reason for Koodo not to support them. It’s not as if the phones dont’ have the capability! I’ve read on the oneplus and Telus forums people who were able to get volte working, but only after lots of hassle w/ customer support and tech support. It’s a shame considering all the BYOD marketing and hype over the years. 

Could you reference a link from Telus forum where people got it working ? From what I searched, There wasn’t any successful case.

Userlevel 1

I will indulge you, but what’s the point?

Here’s one of many examples: https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility-Devices/Does-Telus-support-One-Plus-devices/m-p/97406/highlight/true#M10887

There. Does that help? No, of course not. If you had a solution you would have already offered it. Obviously you don’t. You don’t work for Koodo, correct? I was hoping a technician or higher level tech support would respond to my post. The OnePlus 6 w/ volte/vowifi can definitely work on Telus/Koodo network. Perhaps just a matter of getting them to whitelist the IMEI.

Yes, I could easily just go ahead and buy a different phone, but I wouldn’t want to encourage this kind of unethical and frankly stupid behavior from a carrier. Instead, I will cancel my account and move to a carrier that isn’t trying to force customers into buying from a limited offering of cellphones, mainly the big 3 (Apple, Samsung, Google). 

Thank you.

Userlevel 1

Update

I managed to get volte working on both the LG V30 and the OnePlus 6.

For the LG V30, I wiped and then did a complete restoration of stock firmware using special version of the LGUP flashing application.

For the OnePlus6, I found a couple of posts on the oneplus support site and at xda. You have to know what you’re doing and have a rooted phone, so it’s not for everyone, but it does work. I won’t post the links, but the posts are easy to find. Search for the “Bell, Telus, Koodo and Freedom Mobile Volte...” thread on XDA.