Koodo Community
Question

Unexplained data overage

• 1 June 2022
  • 1 reply

I have an 8g data plan on my iPhone SE, which used to be completely sufficient. I could use apple music, instagram, podcasts all of it. I would hit 50% a day or two before my billing cycle is over. Now my data gets choked up within days. 

This month I had my 50% warning sign days into my billing cycle, despite turning my data off and on due to this issue.  Even with cellular data on, I don’t use Instagram or Facebook, which seem to be killer apps. 

Yesterday I got the 90% and 100% warnings within two minutes of each other. I used 800 kb in two minutes.
I’ve seen this problem on other messaging boards, specifically from Koodo customers. I’m quite conservative with my data, 2 gs used to be enough for me. I don’t understand.

And before you ask

-I turned off wifi assist

-I try not to download anything on data

-I turned off most apps for cellular

I closed maybe 300 tabs after my data was paused but most of them/maybe all of them weren’t streaming anything.

If this keeps up I might switch providers once my tab is paid off. 

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You may want to take a look at your Background App Refresh settings. If you have Wi-Fi access throughout your home, I would recommended setting this to Wi-Fi. To do this, go to Settings > General - tap Background App Refresh and select Wi-Fi. You can also review which apps are allowed to refresh their content in the background, by toggling them on or off.