Koodo Community
Question

Transferring phone number from previous carrier

• 7 August 2022
  • 6 replies

I have followed all of the steps to transfer my phone number to Koodo, it says it will take up to 2.5 hours. That was 5 hours ago and I currently cant even send SMS messages to anyone I also don’t receive messages if any are sent to me. I DO have the new Koodo sim card in my phone.

It is VERY important that this process is complete before tomorrow as I am expecting a very important phone call.

I have since called my old provider and they said that for some reason they didn’t get the “yes” confirmation text and I have to redo the whole process. The problem now is that self serve still says the transfer is in progress and there is no way for me to cancel it so I can start over.

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Eh, did you put the previous carrier SIM in your phone and reply “Yes” with that SIM (not Koodo SIM)?

If your previous company said they haven’t received “Yes” text from you, the issue was the incomplete porting. I recommend you put the previous carrier SIM in the phone and see if you can receive the text from them.

Also, if the port wasn’t complete, your service with the previous carrier should be normal, you can continue with your important phone call there.

I didn’t switch sim cards before responding to the text from my old carrier as the instructions specifically said not to. On both Sim cards i can neither send or receive texts and any phone calls to me go right to voicemail the only thing I can do is make outgoing calls although I do have data on both still. also worth noting that i didn’t cancel my plan with my old carrier yet or anything.

Also worth noting is that on my old sim card if i go to “my phone” in settings it lists my phone number as not my old one that I'm trying to transfer but as one I have never seen before. Maybe the sim cards default number?

Apparently I can call my old carrier to confirm the transfer if the text isn't working for whatever reason  but to do that I need to redo the number transfer from the beginning and I cant do that unless a rep cancels the current transfer that is still “in progress”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am confused. Your previous carrier couldn’t send a text for you to reply Yes and they messed up your number? Now they asked you to make Koodo request again? It seems to me your previous Koodo didn’t do their job to check their end. They could simply reject the transfer request and put your number back to normal state. 

Also, I assumed your service with your previous carrier was normal and there was no disconnection in your account. 

Anyway, I will flag a rep here. You could also schedule a callback yourself and speak with a rep about the issue. Contacting your previous carrier could also be a good option. 

Well I don’t know what happened but it just fixed itself just now. Not sure on whose end it got fixed but glad someone helped me out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there @ZacharyV , We have checked your account and everything looks in order. Glad to hear that the porting issue is resolved.  Don’t hesitate to reach out to our amazing community in the future.

Cheers, :)