Koodo Community
Solved

Strange SMS Message

• 29 November 2022
  • 7 replies

For the last four nights, at exactly 10:30 PM, I get sent an SMS message with a link on it.  It is sent from what appears to be an e-mail address from overseas: “hossein.hamdani@ist.edu.pk” <hossein.hamdani@ist.edu.pk>.  I NEVER click on the link, I simply delete it.  But I can’t block the messages from coming through because they aren’t being sent from a number, rather an address.  This is becoming tiresome because I have to turn off my mobile data shortly before this message arrives so that any information won’t accidentally be auto-downloaded from the SMS coming through.  And this reeks of a scam.  Has this happened to anyone else, and is there some method by which I can block this from being sent?

icon

Best answer by Allan M 29 November 2022, 13:39

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Some phones will let you block it even without the number.

Most of the time the scammers will stop so after a a few days you won’t have to worry about it.

You can also request Koodo to block the email to text service on your number.

My phone will not allow me to block anything which isn’t an actual number.  Therefore, I can only delete, not block outright.  What’s the easiest way to get Koodo to block the email to text service?  I’m going to give this some time before I even consider the option (it’ll most likely taper off soon), and it’s only one message a day) but it’s nice to have options!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you want them blocked let us know on here and we can flag a rep to apply the block for you!

Yes Allan.  If it’s at all possible, I would like them blocked, but just this individual.  I would like all other messages which would normally be sent to go through normally.  This message from the aforementioned source went through again last night at exactly 10:30 PM.  It’s becoming annoying and worrisome.  If this could happen in the not so distant future, that would be fantastic.  Thanks so much for your prompt response!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately Koodo can only apply a full block to the email to text service so everything would be blocked. Not just the single individual.

Thanks for the response.  I’ll keep an eye on my phone before deciding to block anything.  If this persists, maybe then I’ll ask to apply a full block.  In the meantime, I’ll just keep things as they are.  Thank you for your concern.  Should I perhaps give them a text telling them to stop, or should I just leave their texts alone and continue to delete them when they arrive?

They didn’t send me a message or anything last night, so hopefully whoever it was won’t bother to send anything else.  Shout out to Allan for fantastic responses and a genuine, caring attitude!