Koodo Community
Question

Small x on signal bar icon

• 6 January 2023
  • 3 replies

So, in an effort to digitally detox, I purchased a Sonim XP3+ flip phone (cool rugedized flip phone by the way). I noticed while I was working in Edmonton that I would get a small x on the signal bar icon when using LTE service. I would switch it to 3G and the x goes away. I switch it back to LTE and its fine for a bit, then the x returns. It obviously means I have not internet service (not that I really need it...its a flip phone..) but could this mean that there’s and issue with the SIM, phone, or is the network overloaded? Never had an issue with the Samsung S21.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Have you tried reseating the SIM card?

If the phone was dropped at some point, the SIM card may not be making full contact with the pins in the SIM tray. When reseating the SIM card, make sure to slide the SIM card retainer until it clicks or locks into place. Power the phone back on and test for an LTE signal.

If you still have your Samsung S21, you may want to insert the SIM card from your Sonim XP3plus into the S21 to see if the problem follows the SIM card.

Hey @rikkster thanks! I did double check how its seated in the phone. It’s in there good. Ive been in central Alberta for a few days and I haven’t had the issue come up again. I am thinking the telus network downtown Edmonton may be overloaded at times.

At any rate I am thinking perhaps Sonim phones are lower on the priority list for internet access ( not sure on that ). I still have text and phoning without internet access anyway. I still find this very strange. I will be taking my Samsung S21 with me to check and see if it loses internet service in Edmonton this week as a test.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey @rikkster thanks! I did double check how its seated in the phone. It’s in there good. Ive been in central Alberta for a few days and I haven’t had the issue come up again. I am thinking the telus network downtown Edmonton may be overloaded at times.

At any rate I am thinking perhaps Sonim phones are lower on the priority list for internet access ( not sure on that ). I still have text and phoning without internet access anyway. I still find this very strange. I will be taking my Samsung S21 with me to check and see if it loses internet service in Edmonton this week as a test.

Reading up on the Sonim XP3plus specifications, your phone should still have access to 3G/4G internet. The difference is that speeds will be slower than LTE. Messaging and phone calls should work as usual over 3G/4G. Congestion on the network is a possibility. Thank you for the update and keep us posted.

https://www.sonimtech.com/products/devices/xp3plus/#specifications

Removable battery and an FM radio? Have to say it has been a while since I’ve seen those two features mentioned.👍