Koodo Community
Question

Sending SMS abroad - “Error 8” notification

• 2 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello, I’m currently travelling in Germany and cannot send any SMS and cannot make any calls. I can receive calls and SMS no problem and I do have International Data and Voice roaming enabled on my account. When I attempt to send an SMS, the phone tries for a while and then gives me an “Error 8” notification.

I also tried restarting, resetting network settings, switching network providers, removing/adding/removing EasyRoam (I don’t want to use EasyRoam as my usage is low enough to warrant pay-per-use). The exact same thing happened last year already and it took a few callbacks and the Koodo rep resetting certain settings remotely to everything to work. I hope this is not a consistent problem with my account, meaning that everytime I go abroad I will have these issues?

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which phone are you using? Have you checked if the number had the correct prefix for calling in the country? Also, if it was an Android, are you using Google message or another texting app?

Also, when you traveled last year, did it happen with the same phone and in the same area?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Lu Jia 

We have just had a look and it seems the Pay per use International long distance add on is not added to your services. This is required for your to be able to make calls. 

We have added it for you, please restart your device and let us know if you are able to make calls. 

Hi @Flo Koodo  thank you, it works now, both SMS and calls :) thanks for the help. It’s weird because I did not see this add-on as an available option in my Self Service; only the EasyRoam add-on. Is this normally a selectable add-on?

@Dinh Hi, I’m using a Moto G Power and yes, the numbers I called had the +Country Code prefixes. I’m using the Messages app and I did disable the “Chat” settings, however, that made no difference. Last year it was the same phone and same area, but there is generally good cell coverage here. Seems like the issue was the required add-on.

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Flo Koodo  thank you, it works now, both SMS and calls :) thanks for the help. It’s weird because I did not see this add-on as an available option in my Self Service; only the EasyRoam add-on. Is this normally a selectable add-on?

@Dinh Hi, I’m using a Moto G Power and yes, the numbers I called had the +Country Code prefixes. I’m using the Messages app and I did disable the “Chat” settings, however, that made no difference. Last year it was the same phone and same area, but there is generally good cell coverage here. Seems like the issue was the required add-on.

Thanks again!

Yes, it would normally show up as an add-on when you log in to your Self-Serve portal. I would suggest you to look at the pay-per-use charges before going ahead. The rate is high and it can easily rack up on your bill. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/payperuse