Koodo Community
Question

Samsung A50

Userlevel 1

Has anyone been able to use their A50 with Koodo’s data? I have no problem with wifi or making/;receiving calls. I have added all the recommended APN settings, but still no luck. I see this phone is 67% compatible with Koodo, so no sure if the problem is my phone or something else.

Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for comments

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which model of A50 do you have?

The Canadian variant is model number SM-A505W. You can find the model number by going to Settings > About phone or device.

Can you post a screenshot of your phones’ APN settings?

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I have the Canadian model A505W. Here are the screenshots. Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Try changing MMS proxy from 74.49.0.18 to mmscproxy.mobility.ca and the MMS port from 80 to 8799.

APN Type can be set by typing default (by itself) or use; default,supl,mms (no spaces). Remember to save any edits made to the APN. Test these APN settings and let us know if this has resolved the issue.

Userlevel 1

Thank you. I will try all those settings, but I am not able to manually enter an APN type. These are my options:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you. I will try all those settings, but I am not able to manually enter an APN type. These are my options:

Internet+MMS should work. DUN or dial-up networking is an older protocol.

Userlevel 1

Still no go!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Try restarting your phone. If that doesn’t work, try resetting your phones’ network settings. If you’ve saved the APN settings, those settings should remain intact. If you have more than one APN, (I see Koodo 2 listed) delete the other APN.

Userlevel 1

I restarted,still not working. My new APN settings are the Koodo 2 ones. The old ones are showing as Koodo SP. It is not possible to delete Koodo SP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is data enabled?

I can’t see the data logo in the notifications bar because the Wi-Fi icon is obscuring it from view.

Do you have enough data in your monthly plan?

This phone should be fully compatible with Koodo on 3G, 4G and LTE.

Userlevel 1

Yes, wifi is off and data enabled. I have 20GB and have never been able to use it. It is a mystery to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you have any data usage restrictions set up on your phone?

Setting a data usage restriction on your phone could prevent data from being used when it has reached a specified limit. To check, go to Settings > Connections > Data usage > Billing cycle and data warning > Set data limit (toggle on/off). The menus may differ slightly, I’m using an older Samsung Galaxy device.

Userlevel 1

Mobile data is on. Noticed that total data does not show 20GB though. This may be a bigger problem than just settings. I'll try taking the phone to Mobile Klinik. 

Thanks for your help 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You’re welcome. Tap Billing cycle and data warning. Tap Data limit and enter 20 GB. Tap Data warning and enter 18 GB, for example. I was able to enter both amounts in that order, entering data limit first and then the data warning amount. When I tap Mobile Data Usage, both 18GB and 20GB appear in the billing cycle window.

Userlevel 1

That was a good thing to check. I entered that info and the updated numbers appear. But, still can't email or open apps 😕. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

A couple of other options. Putting your phone in Safe Mode disables user-installed apps and only loads the apps that came with your phone from the factory.

To put your phone in Safe Mode, press and hold the power button for a few seconds until the Power off menu appears. Press and hold the Power off icon until Safe Mode appears.

Tap the Safe Mode icon. The phone will reboot and take a few seconds to load. Turn off Wi-Fi, turn on mobile data (if disabled) and try to download an app, go online and search for a topic or send a picture message to yourself or to someone else as these steps all use data.  

If data works in this mode, an app could be preventing data from working. You will have to go through each app starting with the most recently installed to figure out which app is the culprit. To exit Safe Mode, restart your phone.

If still no luck, go to Settings > General Management - tap Reset. Tap Reset settings. This resets the phone to its default settings. I think there may be  a setting that is preventing data usage. If that does not resolve the issue, you may have to head to Mobile Klinik to see if they can figure out what’s going on.

Keep us posted and thank you for your patience.

Userlevel 1

Data works in Safe Mode! Any known culprits?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately, that’s a question I cannot answer. The apps that you have installed on your phone could be completely different from what I have installed on my device. The most recent app installed is the suggested starting point, especially when an issue has just occurred.

After exiting Safe Mode, try resetting your phones’ settings. This erases user-configured settings and customizations you’ve made to your phone. It’s possible that a setting is preventing data usage. This procedure does not erase any user content from your phone.

Since data works in Safe Mode and if locating the culprit app proves to be a tedious, time consuming task and resetting your phones’ settings did not work, a factory reset is your next option.

Make sure to backup anything you want to keep. This procedure erases the contents of your phone and restores it to a factory default state, similar to when you first bought your A50. Go to Settings > General management - tap Reset, then tap Factory data reset.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your patience with this problem!

I will try resetting and  let you know what happens. Fingers crossed....

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I reset my phone setting and all apps except for Yahoo mail worked with my data on. I could open emails on my PC, but on my phone several emails would not open. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the Yahoo app and now I can open my emails. I also “force stopped” some Samsung apps, but not sure if that was necessary or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello,

I reset my phone setting and all apps except for Yahoo mail worked with my data on. I could open emails on my PC, but on my phone several emails would not open. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the Yahoo app and now I can open my emails. I also “force stopped” some Samsung apps, but not sure if that was necessary or not.

So, data is working as it should?

Userlevel 1

So far, yes. But now I have to go back and add all my settings. I’ll see if that messes with the data again…..

Everything looks good now. I guess it was Yahoo mail. Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So far, yes. But now I have to go back and add all my settings. I’ll see if that messes with the data again.

That’s great to hear! Let us know if you encounter any issues along the way. As for the Samsung apps that were force stopped, this should not prevent you from accessing data. I have force stopped some Samsung apps on my device and I have access to data.