Koodo Community
Question

Phone not connecting to other carriers while traveling in-country

• 31 August 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi Koodo Kommunity,

I recently went backwoods camping with a friend and wasn’t able to connect with any kind of service (which is understandable).  However, my friend had reception and she is with Rogers.  Shouldn’t my phone have been able to connect with her coverage if mine is unavailable?  My data was set to active as was my phone’s roaming option.  I also manually attempted to connect to Rogers.  I just assumed that if I’m not able to connect with my service that I would be able to hop onto another provider’s.  Or is this not the case?

Thanks,

Clayton 

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo falls under Telus, along with Public Mobile.  Rogers, Fido, and Chatr together in an entirely different company (or set of companies).  Had you unfortunately needed to dial 911, your phone would have connected to the Rogers network for that as any phone capable of receiving a signal needs to be able to place a 911 call regardless of service plan.  Other than that though, you would not be able to roam onto a Rogers signal.  (Nor vice-versa, if you were in a spot where you had coverage and your friend on Rogers did not).