Koodo Community
Solved

Phone broke, switching sim to new phone, do I get charged my full tab bonus?

• 18 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi, 

My phone broke, I need to take out the sim card and put it into a new phone I just purchased unlocked from google. Will I get charged my tab and tab bonus because of this? I'm not doing an upgrade or canceling, this is pretty much the same as BYOD (bring your own device) so I assume I will still get my monthly tab balance and tab bonus reduction. I had a pixel 5 that I bought on contract (tab) from koodo, it broke. I know i have the tab bonus so I didnt want to upgrade and pay the remaining balace, so I bought a new phone directly from google to replace it. Will I get charged by koodo for doing this? 

Can someone confirm?

icon

Best answer by Goran 18 October 2021, 18:32

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you are not getting a new phone on the tab through koodo then you are correct. You'll still be charged the monthly tab and the tab bonus will reduce in the background just like it has been.

If you are not getting a new phone on the tab through koodo then you are correct. You'll still be charged the monthly tab and the tab bonus will reduce in the background just like it has been.

Thank you so much. Is there any reference material for this from a formal Koodo rep? I appreciate the advice i just want to make sure this is the case. Thank you again for the help!

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I had a pixel 5 that I bought on contract (tab) from koodo, it broke. I know i have the tab bonus so I didnt want to upgrade and pay the remaining balace, so I bought a new phone directly from google to replace it. Will I get charged by koodo for doing this?

Your tab has really no connection with the service… You can continue to pay off the tab for the broken phone, while using a new phone acquired elsewhere (Google) - no problem at all. Over the years I often used a different phone with my plan than the one originally from the provider. In fact, if you already have a good working phone when signing up for a tab, you could immediately sell the new phone and continue using the old phone too.

Of course you are still responsible to eventually pay off the tab before getting another phone through Koodo Tab, that’s all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The reference material is the tab agreement itself as well as your service agreement with Koodo when you signed up. Koodo doesn't care what you do with the phone you bought, so long as you pay it. Your service agreement does not stipulate what phone you use to put your Koodo Sim card in. All that ever matters is that it is compatible with the frequency bands Koodo uses. You are free to swap out phones as you wish for any reason with any carrier.

I ordered a new phone from Koodo on the tab under my post paid account for my husband who has a pre-paid account (pre-paid has very few phone choices).

I continue to use my old phone and my husband just popped his pre-paid sim into the new phone. No problem. The tab payments continue monthly under my post paid account even though my husband is the one using the new phone on a separate account.