Koodo Community
Question

old Nokia flip phone to new TCL flip phone

• 18 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Message from Koodo - old Nokia flip phone getting too old and will stop working sometime in 2023, called Koodo and had them ship me their TCL flip phone, arrived today,  Nokia sim to large for the TCL, paired the phones but when I try the phone switch/selecting the TCL as the paired device I get “service not supported by other device, so far I have been unable to get the contacts from old phone to new one, any ideas other than manually putting in the contacts

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did they send you a SIM with the TCL? If the SIM was too large you would need to switch SIM to a smaller one first https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/koodo-sim-support

Regarding the data transfer, I assumed you were using software from TCL? How "old" is your Nokia? If the phone software was "too" old you might try to save contact to the SIM card and move it to the new phone.

yes they sent a Nano SIM with the TCL, the SIM from the Nokia is a larger SIM, not sure what TCL software you are referring to?, yes the phone is really old, it is a Nokia 3710 release date 2009, bought in 2010 - I have the contacts on the SIM but the SIM is too big for the TCL

Thanks for the help

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

yes they sent a Nano SIM with the TCL, the SIM from the Nokia is a larger SIM, not sure what TCL software you are referring to?, yes the phone is really old, it is a Nokia 3710 release date 2009, bought in 2010 - I have the contacts on the SIM but the SIM is too big for the TCL

Thanks for the help

I referred to the software you mentioned that you had the message "service not supported by other device". I wondered in which situation that you had that message?

The new SIM card was actually a SIM that can be punches into different sizes. If you still had the big card, you should be able to make it either a nano, micro or standard size SIM. First, you switch the SIM in self-serve, put the new SIM (with standard or macro size) into the old phone, transfer the contact info that SIM. After that bring the new SIM to the new phone, and move the contact from the SIM to the new phone.

The software that generated the message was on the Nokia, the TCL does not have this selection, unfortunately I have already installed the Nano SIM in the TCL and the Nokia SIM does not reduce to the smaller size

Again thanks for the help

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oof yeah you’re talking about really ancient technology here… I’m not even sure how to transfer numbers from one SIM card to another. When you say you “installed” the nano SIM, do you mean you have activated already in self serve? Does the new phone work (can you text, call, etc)?

yes activated and the phone works great, not so great is manually adding the contacts back in - flip phone press 3 times to get the letter you want (-:}, but that’s the type of phone my wife wants to keep so I'm slowly adding the numbers in - all good

thanks for looking at it for me