Koodo Community
Solved

Not receiving SMS short code from Portuguese bank (in Canada)

Hi, the title says it pretty much. I’m unable to receive a verification code from a Portuguese bank while in Canada. The problem seems to be only with this bank and their verification system. I have received other short codes texts with verification codes from other services in Europe, so I’m not sure what’s happening. I have seen other posts with similar issues, but I guess what’s not clear yet (from Koodo) is if there’s any way messages are being blocked (for any reason)  from Koodo when it comes from overseas (Europe) and triggers some sort of safety system?

They said they have investigated other cases like mine and they haven’t found any issues with their system and that I should check with my provider. I believe I’m in a game of back and forth now, so I just need some clarification on what’s happening, if Koodo has something to do with it.

Also, I haven’t found any settings/options in my account (self-serve) for messaging blocking or something like that. My iphone doesn’t have any blocking settings active for this kind of thing, so that’s not it for sure.

I hope somebody can provide a clear answer/solution to this. It’d be very helpful.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by MilkyWay 8 May 2022, 06:34

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi, the title says it pretty much. I’m unable to receive a verification code from a Portuguese bank while in Canada. The problem seems to be only with this bank and their verification system. I have received other short codes texts with verification codes from other services in Europe, so I’m not sure what’s happening. I have seen other posts with similar issues, but I guess what’s not clear yet (from Koodo) is if there’s any way messages are being blocked (for any reason)  from Koodo when it comes from overseas (Europe) and triggers some sort of safety system?

They said they have investigated other cases like mine and they haven’t found any issues with their system and that I should check with my provider. I believe I’m in a game of back and forth now, so I just need some clarification on what’s happening, if Koodo has something to do with it.

Also, I haven’t found any settings/options in my account (self-serve) for messaging blocking or something like that. My iphone doesn’t have any blocking settings active for this kind of thing, so that’s not it for sure.

I hope somebody can provide a clear answer/solution to this. It’d be very helpful.

Thanks!

In most cases, the short codes only work within the country they are being sent from. it is likely not going to go through because you are not currently in Portugal.

Is there any way that they can send it from a proper phone number? From my understanding, it will work if it is sent from an actual number. You need to speak with your bank to see if alternative arrangements can be made. 

Thank you for your reply @MilkyWay 

I’ll see if they have an alternative method for verification or if they can send it from a regular phone number. They told me they were able to send those verification codes to international phone numbers outside of Portugal before, but no luck with my Koodo numbers. They use a verification system from a company called “IDnow” (idnow.io), in case that helps for more context. I’m calling again tomorrow to find out.