Koodo Community
Solved

not connecting to my home wifi

• 3 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Got a iPhone XR for Christmas. Bought it online from Koodo, it will not stay connected to my home wifi. Every other device/phone stays connected. I’ve tried everything. Soft reset, network reset, forgot the wifi and rejoined. Nothing works. It will connect if I am beside the wireless rotor. But if I go to a different room it loses connection.

icon

Best answer by Dinh 3 January 2022, 17:28

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If your home Wi-Fi has the option of broadcasting internet over 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, make sure your iPhone connects to the 2.4GHz side for better penetrability and signal coverage. While the 5 GHz side offers faster speeds and less interference from adjacent Wi-Fi channels, it lacks in range and penetrability. 

Thanks, I bought a wifi extender today and that seems to work. It seems like what ever recognizes the wifi from the iPhone is weak. (Without the extender when the phone connects the signal is really weak than it drops it) this only happens with the new phone , every other phone /device In the house stays connected to the wifi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks, I bought a wifi extender today and that seems to work. It seems like what ever recognizes the wifi from the iPhone is weak. (Without the extender when the phone connects the signal is really weak than it drops it) this only happens with the new phone , every other phone /device In the house stays connected to the wifi.

Can you try to use the iphone to connect to another wifi network and see if the problem follows.

Also, was the phone a new or a Koodo “certified preowned” one? It was strange to hear a new phone had problem with wifi reception while other devices was working fine.

Yes, certified preowned. Not brand new. I haven’t been able to speak to a real Koodo person since I noticed this problem.  Very disappointing since I’ve been a  happy customer for a long time. I assume it is an issue with the wifi receiver (if that’s a thing) on the phone. I did try other wifi connections and same thing, a very weak connection.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, certified preowned. Not brand new. I haven’t been able to speak to a real Koodo person since I noticed this problem.  Very disappointing since I’ve been a  happy customer for a long time. I assume it is an issue with the wifi receiver (if that’s a thing) on the phone. I did try other wifi connections and same thing, a very weak connection.

Have you tried to reset the wifi router? You mentioned other device worked? What was the distance between the phone and the wifi router? 

Also, are you residing near an Apple store? You could visit them. They might be able to check the phone for you also

When I’m right beside the rotor it works fine as I move away the connection gets weaker than drops. Every other iPhone has a great connection everywhere in the house. We have tried resetting the rotor & also the network settings on phone multiple times. I assume it’s the phone, I’m going to try and talk to a Koodo real person again today. The closest apple store is 2 hrs away. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Were you thinking of getting the iPhone repaired under warranty, or returning the phone and purchasing a different certified preowned iPhone XR?

If you’re looking to get the iPhone XR repaired under warranty, you can take the phone to a TELUS location nearest you (do not take the iPhone to Apple for repair).

Repair and warranty options

If you’re looking to return the defective phone and purchase a different certified preowned iPhone XR, please contact the webstore by email at koodo.webstore@koodomobile.com  to initiate the return process. 

Returning or exchanging your Koodo phone