Koodo Community
Question

New client. Poor reception

• 26 August 2022
  • 7 replies

So I became a Koodoo client 2 days ago.

The locals told me that Telus is supposed to have the best coverage in the area (Interior BC).

The strength of my signal is 0-2 bars.

Data speed (when available 5% of time) is 0.24 mbps

My plan is 10 gb/55$.

I rebooted the phone in the last 2 days more that in the previous 4 years with Rogers.

I live in downtown of a small tourist town. The reception hardware hasn’t caused me any problems with Rogers except for the areas in the mountains where they don’t have towers.

What can be the problem?

I feel like I’ve downgraded from Rogers, and am now paying more.

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So I became a Koodoo client 2 days ago.

The locals told me that Telus is supposed to have the best coverage in the area (Interior BC).

The strength of my signal is 0-2 bars.

Data speed (when available 5% of time) is 0.24 mbps

My plan is 10 gb/55$.

I rebooted the phone in the last 2 days more that in the previous 4 years with Rogers.

I live in downtown of a small tourist town. The reception hardware hasn’t caused me any problems with Rogers except for the areas in the mountains where they don’t have towers.

What can be the problem?

I feel like I’ve downgraded from Rogers, and am now paying more.

Have you tried restarting your network settings? Did you put your SIM card on another device to see if the same issue is occurring?

How do I restart the network settings on Redmi 7?

I don’t have another device.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How do I restart the network settings on Redmi 7?

I don’t have another device.

To restart your network settings, you can visit this link and follow the step-by-step instructions. https://www.hardreset.info/devices/xiaomi/xiaomi-redmi-note-7/reset-network-settings

If the signal does not improve after resetting it, I would suggest you to borrow a device from a trusted friend or family member and try inserting your SIM card to see whether it is a problem with your phone or the SIM card. 

OK, I changed from LTE (I assume it’s 4G) to 3G.

Immediately I got 5 bars in signal strength and the internet speed tester finally woke up with 3.4 on download and 0.6 on upload on google tester (Speedtest is more optimistic). On LTE it was not even finding connection.

I tested a couple of times switching between LTE and 3G, and this seems to be the problem. LTE seems to be too far in our area. Which is strange. I thought it was the standard here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

OK, I changed from LTE (I assume it’s 4G) to 3G.

Immediately I got 5 bars in signal strength and the internet speed tester finally woke up with 3.4 on download and 0.6 on upload on google tester (Speedtest is more optimistic). On LTE it was not even finding connection.

I tested a couple of times switching between LTE and 3G, and this seems to be the problem. LTE seems to be too far in our area. Which is strange. I thought it was the standard here.

Based on your location, you should be able to get LTE-A coverage. 

It is possible that your phone does not support enough bands that are compatible with the Koodo network. With the Redmi 7, it can only connect to bands 2, 4, 5, and 7. You should switch to another device that can provide better reception and a more pleasant experience while using your data. 

I’m not sure what the number of bands means. I didn’t have any problem with Rogers.

I don’t like to be forced to buy new devices to continue using regular services.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m not sure what the number of bands means. I didn’t have any problem with Rogers.

I don’t like to be forced to buy new devices to continue using regular services.

You are not obligated to get a new device. I am letting you know that the reason for the poor reception may be due to a lack of compatible bands on your device with the Koodo network.

For your information, Koodo supports Bands 2 and 5 on their 3G network and Bands 2, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 29, and 66 on their 4G and LTE network.