Koodo Community
Question

location services in error

• 22 December 2022
  • 5 replies

All apps using location services identify me as a person residing in Calgary and/or Alberta. Even Koodo themselves, always start my access to their internet homepage services as an Alberta customer. 

However, l have always been a Saskatchewan / Saskatoon resident with a 306 area code.

Am I being hacked? Do I need to worry?

How do i get rid of this irritation. I'm tired of having to search twice for everything.

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which phone do you have?

If you’re using an iPhone or a Mac computer, the permissions that allow an app to use your location may not be enabled. For iPhone, go to Settings > Privacy & Security - tap Location Services. Scroll through the list of apps and select the app (e.g. Chrome, Safari, Firefox) and check that it has access to location services.

There may be several permissions to choose from: Never, Ask Next Time Or When I Share,  While Using the App or Always. (I usually use the last two options). There may be a toggle that shows Precise Location. Make sure to toggle this on. 

The settings are likely similar on an Android device, I don’t have one to test at the moment. Someone else might be able to provide the location/app permission settings for Android.

I use a Motorola One 5G Ace, Permission is enabled. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you used google map, Could it identity your current location?

Also, when you check your IP address of the phone using a IP identification service like https://whatismyipaddress.com/ which province are you in?

Whatismyipaddress.com, indicates that i am a telus customer in Calgary.

Google maps finds me in Saskatoon

However, for example if i search for Napa auto parts in chrome browser, it shows my nearest store location to be Calgary.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This is normal, it just depends on which server you’re connected to while using your data. My phone frequently says I’m in Montreal while connected to data even though I am not.

It’s just the phone relying on your ip address at the time (which is whatever Koodo/Telus server it’s connected to) rather than your phones GPS.