Koodo Community
Solved

I tethered to my PC and all my DATA was used up in minutes!

• 8 September 2022
  • 9 replies

Someone help me understand. I plugged my phone into my computer to use itunes and had Steam downloading some updates in the background. Well I hadn’t realized that my PC was tethering internet from my phone….however, my phone was connected to my home wi-fi network and had very strong connection...So why was my phone pulling cellular data to feed my computer internet!? First thing was I got a text alert that 50% of my data had been used….I thought normal, since I’m halfway through billing cycle and maybe the alert was delayed from earlier in the day. Then 3 minutes later I get the 90% alert!! There goes all my data, I’ve now used 7.4GB of 8GB and there is 13 days left. PLEASE WHAT HAPPENED

icon

Best answer by Boa_Guy Koodo 8 September 2022, 18:23

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well, this is the way windows and your phone android/ios work. Normally the system would notify you that the phone was tethering. If you didn't do anything, it assumed you were ok with it. 

For personal hotspot, the phone doesn't use any local wifi but cellular data.

Darn I should have known this , but no I was not notified that windows had switched to my phones personal hotspot when I plugged it in, and after realized that’s what happened it was too late. Are there top up options possible I can add a GB or two to my monthly bill, or do I have to permanently step up my plan to 10GB?

Any chance that a Koodo rep can help me out with this one or am I just on my own here??

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there, @Ellbrad ! 

We have looked into your account and you are correct, you have used up almost all your data. Here is the good news, you should be able to change your plan in Self serve to the $55 10GB plan. Essentially it's the same plan that you currently have but offers you 10Gb instead of 8GB. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  

Your data will be prorated but you will have much more than you currently have left and more data for the same money $$$$ ;) 

If you want even more data, for $5 more ($60) you can have 20GB. 

Hope this helped.

Cheers, :) 

Hi there, @Ellbrad ! 

We have looked into your account and you are correct, you have used up almost all your data. Here is the good news, you should be able to change your plan in Self serve to the $55 10GB plan. Essentially it's the same plan that you currently have but offers you 10Gb instead of 8GB. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  

Your data will be prorated but you will have much more than you currently have left and more data for the same money $$$$ ;) 

If you want even more data, for $5 more ($60) you can have 20GB. 

Hope this helped.

That is excellent news and thanks  very much however i am faced with an error page after confirming the change to my plan in self serve

”it looks like that didn’t work

Please go to koodo.com/chat and enter '#AssistS' to
schedule a callback.“

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Ellbrad  Sorry to hear that, which plan were you looking to apply?

@Ellbrad  Sorry to hear that, which plan were you looking to apply?

The first one you had suggested. 10GB/$55. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Ellbrad  We have made the change for you, you can see the updated plan in your Self serve. 

@Ellbrad  We have made the change for you, you can see the updated plan in your Self serve. 

Just received the email notifying me of the change. Thanks very much appreciate the quick response and all your help!