Koodo Community
Question

Hotspot - devices can connect, but no internet connectivity. Accessing Internet thru cell data on phone works.

• 25 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Been trying to track down this problem for months on and off as time allows.

As the title says, internet using cell data works on the phone. Hotspot, when enabled, allows other devices to tether, but no tethered devices has internet access through the hotspot.

A breakthrough today that only makes things more confusing...
In my APN settings, I have an APN called Koodo (editable) and another called Koodo Tether (not editable), and if I delete the Koodo APN leaving only Koodo Tether, internet connectivity through the hotspot comes back.

Of course, by deleting the Koodo APN, I lose 4G and LTE access until I reinstate that APN either manually or by re-loading from default names, however.

(Also, I cannot add “dun” (APN Type under Koodo Tether) to the APN type under the APN Koodo - it says carrier does not allow it; although I can imagine there are very good reasons for this limitation )

What am I missing?

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Could you share some screenshots of what your APN settings are currently all at?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which phone are you using? It appears strange that you need a different APN for hotspotl. Here is the Koodo official APN page https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone

Not sure why you there was APN type need “ia” in the middle though. You should only need  “Default,supl,mms”

yeah ia doesn’t make a difference. I have tried both with and without. ia happens to appear under type if I pull defaults out with the phone, but I have of course tried the APN page info as well. Just had to re-pull the defaults so often while testing hotspot functionality I haven’t bothered to remove ‘ia’.

Phone is Sony Xperia 5 IV, Hong Kong (intl) version. Before we go off on that, do know that prior to summer 2023, it was hotspotting just fine; and there hasn’t been a big OS version change to the phone either. (Android 13)