Koodo Community
Question

help! my phone number has stopped working!

• 16 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Help! My phone number suddenly stopped working! I received an SMS earlier today saying 'welcome to public mobile'. I thought it was spam. However, a few minutes ago my phone service died. Why has my phone service stopped working? There are no outages in my area. My bill is paid in full. My SIM cannot even dial 911. Has public mobile attempted to port my active phone number?

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Help! My phone number suddenly stopped working! I received an SMS earlier today saying 'welcome to public mobile'. I thought it was spam. However, a few minutes ago my phone service died. Why has my phone service stopped working? There are no outages in my area. My bill is paid in full. My SIM cannot even dial 911. Has public mobile attempted to port my active phone number?

You may be a victim of the SIM card swap scam. I suggest you to call the Koodo porting department at 1-844-232-7678 to sort this out as soon as you can. https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/blog/20200312/

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you a postpaid or prepaid customer?

The reason I ask is because there have been a number of SIM-swap scams happening with prepaid customers lately. My understanding is that this problem is still under investigation. 

If you can access your Self Serve account;

1). Change your Self Serve password and security question

2). Put your phone on Lost/Stolen mode to temporarily suspend service

3). Please book a callback with our virtual assistant (Koodo Assist). One of our representatives will be able to restore your original SIM card

Koodo Assist (postpaid)

Koodo Assist (prepaid)

If you don’t have access to another phone while your phone is temporarily suspended, download the Fongo Mobile app. The app works over Wi-Fi (or mobile data) and is available for Android and iOS devices. You will get a free local phone number that you can use to schedule a callback and or make and receive calls. 

Fongo Mobile app