Koodo Community
Question

Group messaging sends individually

• 17 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I have an Iphone XR. My group messaging sends messages out individually instead of to the group. I was using this feature before, no problem (ie participating in group chat where messages were part of group chat). I did change settings while travelling but changed them back.

SMS enabled

MMS and Group messages enabled

Network reset done

Tried restarting phone

Tried deleting group and starting again

Contacted Apple who don’t know what the problem is and said to contact carrier

Members of group have mix of android and Iphones

Group uses phone numbers for chat 

No members have made any changes

My message appears as part of group chat to me but is received individually.

What other steps can I take to resolve this issue?  

Thank you. 

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you created the group chat, was the group showing up as “group mms” or it didn't say anything?

Also, the person who received individual messages were the one using Android?

Thanks for your reply. Group chat doesn’t say MMS. I did not create original group but creating a new group with same members and it said nothing. All others are Android users. I am the only Iphone.  Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you recall which setting you changed/changed back?

According to a group messaging support article from Apple, it seems as though group messages are being sent via Group SMS.

Group SMS

These messages also appear in green text bubbles and go through your carrier. Group SMS messages don’t support multimedia attachments, like photos or videos. All responses in a group SMS are sent as individual text messages and the recipients can’t see the other responses from the group.

The Messages app automatically chooses the type of group message to send based on settings, network connection, and carrier plan.

Send a group text message on your iPhone or iPad