Koodo Community
Solved

do sim cards work with all types of phones ?

• 28 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Specifically I have an old Nokia brick phone and an iphoneX I’d like to be able to swap the SIM card between them. I know the sizes are different, so I’d use the pieces provided to account for that, just wondering if the SIM will work for both models? I heard apple phones require a specific SIM that doesn’t work on other devices? Is that true?

icon

Best answer by rikkster 28 December 2021, 21:02

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Specifically I have an old Nokia brick phone and an iphoneX I’d like to be able to swap the SIM card between them. I know the sizes are different, so I’d use the pieces provided to account for that, just wondering if the SIM will work for both models? I heard apple phones require a specific SIM that doesn’t work on other devices? Is that true?

If you are using an iPhone X, you will likely need a nano SIM. Assuming you want to change from the Nokia phone, you will need to cut it to the appropriate dimension. To swap the SIM card between devices, you might have to invest in a SIM card adapter. 

As for your other question, you may be referring to the eSIM. It is not necessary for your iPhone to work. It is only worth getting if you plan to use different plans or get a local plan when you are travelling abroad. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/esim-and-esim-vouchers

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That would depend on the model number of the Nokia phone which would determine it’s age, the SIM card size and the type of network the phone was capable of accessing. Back then, cell phones were often branded by the carrier and locked to their network. Some of the earlier candy-bar (brick) style Nokia phones used a miniSIM card, while newer variants used microSIM cards.

Using the nanoSIM card from your iPhone X, you could purchase a miniSIM or microSIM adapter for your Nokia. SIM card adapters usually come in three-packs and can be found on Amazon.ca. The model number is usually printed on a label in the battery compartment. Remove the back cover and battery to gain access to the label.

Thank you! Very helpful !