Koodo Community
Question

DNS connectivity issues when using a hotspot

• 6 September 2023
  • 2 replies

I have a pixel 3xl and have been using it as a hotspot for over a year now.  I have recently moved, and am less than 100 meters from a cell tower.

Since moving I am encountering DNS issues when used as a hotspot.  Most of the time the connectivity is great, however I am encountering situations where some urls will be reachable and others not.  This happens for up to 10 minutes at a time.

I have changed my DNS settings (from automatic to 8.8.8.8) in windows 11 to determine if that’s the issue, but that hasn’t alleviated the symptoms.  Windows Diagnostics tool states that it’s a DNS issue, and the responses I am getting from failing browser-based requests are along the same lines (for example: ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED).

I have tried multiple different computers and am experiencing the same intermittent issue, although I haven’t noticed this issue on the phone itself… any help identifying the issue would be much appreciated!

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you clear the cache the web browser and see if that can help?

as well, have you tried to access the web page on the phone itself to see if it can reach the webpage or not. 

Koodo DNS is not user-configurable unfortunately. And did windows troubleshooting said the issue was from DNS or from DNS cache?

I don’t think it’s browser related, as using the terminal to `ping cbc.ca` during an ‘outage’ provides the output “Ping request could not find host cbc.ca. Please check the name and try again.”

Regarding attempting to access the site on a phone: I receive similar results, except that they resolve much faster.  I attempted during the only hiccup today and encountered the following symptoms:
 Either:

• the browser on the phone flashed a ‘site unreachable’ page, similar to my PC, however it refreshed quickly and the site came up fully functional
    • I attempted to reach the site on my PC after it was apparently resolved, however the PC informed that the site was still unreachable.  Next time I will try clearing my DNS cache on the PC when this happens.
  • parts of the site loaded; icons, styling (looks like the whole css file was missing) is missing.  After a refresh it loaded rapidly and fully.

Troubleshooter didn’t mention the DNS cache:

It shows 2 different outputs, but neither mention the DNS cache

This hiccups are quite detrimental to my work, but if there was a way to resolve them as rapidly on my PC as my phone, they’d be livable.  As it is now, if I can’t resolve this issue with Koodo, I’ll have to find an alternate solution/provider.