Koodo Community
Solved

Data no services

I'm wondering why I can't recieve any text messages unless i have my data on. Shouldnt i be able to send and recieve calls and texts on my koodo network without having to have my data on !? That would increase my data usage and cost me way more. If this is the case, I want off the koodo plan I'm on, as it's over $80 a month and not unlimited data, it's 15 allowed but I'm already at 8 !

Still not liking koodo at this time, even though this is the second chance I'm giving them. There won't be a third.

icon

Best answer by Dennis 30 May 2022, 19:06

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Regular texting (sms) does not need data to functuon.

Are you trying to receive MMS? if so that will require data to be turned on to work, but you are not charged for that data use.

Try sending and receiving a simple text message With a couple of different people to see if the texts work

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm wondering why I can't recieve any text messages unless i have my data on. Shouldnt i be able to send and recieve calls and texts on my koodo network without having to have my data on !? That would increase my data usage and cost me way more. If this is the case, I want off the koodo plan I'm on, as it's over $80 a month and not unlimited data, it's 15 allowed but I'm already at 8 !

Still not liking koodo at this time, even though this is the second chance I'm giving them. There won't be a third.

Are you using an iPhone? If so, it is likely you are using iMessage, which does require data to send or receive the messages. To stop this, you can set up your phone to send them as text messages when you do not have access to data. https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/change-iphone-imessage-to-text

Hi thanks for the response. But no, it's not MMS  messages or photos or anything. I literally can not recieve text messages unless I turn on my data. Couple different people, have said they didn't get my texts, and I've sent texts to different people at different times and wondered why they never replied. I turn on my data, and bam, I'm flooded with replies. 

I tried different ways to solve the issue on my own, because t everybody has the same opinion as you... I should not be having to use data to send or receive texts. But here I am....  I have not  tried factory resetting my phone, but I've tried just about everything else. Was just wondering if anyone else had the same issue and signed a roped in contract for 2 years and paying thru the nose for basically nothing. 🤔 

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What kind of phone is it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

And what messaging app are you using? 

If you connect to WiFi does it work?