Koodo Community

Data Glitch

• 14 August 2023
  • 5 replies

This is the second month in a row that there has been a glitch on my account and all of my data just disappears into the abyss. Last month when it happened, I changed my plan to get more data to avoid any charges. This month they just stole 31 GB from me in less than 30 minutes…………. I am really annoyed. You can see the minute by minute of usage on my account…… And when I spoke to a representative they suggested I buy more data….. like? It’s technologically impossible for me on my iPhone to burn through 31 GB in that short amount of time. 2 months ago before this nonsense started happening to me I average 3 GB of usage in a month………. So dumb. I want my data back.

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The last reported time before the big spike of data usage was 10:13.

Although difficult, it is possible for a phone to use 32GB of data in a little over 2 hours. Usually it comes from something like a backup, download, update, etc.

When you look in your usage history in your phone, what is it saying used all the data?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I could a rep on the matter if there’s anything they can look into or require forwarding to a callback to open a tech support ticket.  That amount of usage would indeed take 20-45 minutes, depending on your plan’s speed limit.

When you check your phone’s data usage, what does it say for the day?

Cellular usage on my phone says it's mostly Snapchat…… I am NOT an avid “Snapchatter”….. Is something happening in the background when I open it? That is such an absurd amount of data for barely doing anything…... I want to turn everything off that could possibly be doing this. I also get the text alerts for usages and these time stamps confirm how fast it was disappearing….. and I never did anything out of the ordinary such as download/ update/ backup anything. Thanks for your inputs! I am waiting for another callback now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sometimes apps can glitch out so for example, you send a picture to someone on Snapchat, something glitches while sending and then Snapchat repeatedly tried to send it over and over again in a loop causing it to use a huge amount of data like you saw above.

I’d recommend deleting Snapchat off your phone and then reinstalling it in case there was something wrong with the app itself. Then just keep an eye out on it in case it does it again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Snapchat apparently has a “data saver” mode you might want to try as well:  https://help.snapchat.com/hc/en-us/articles/7012345590548-How-to-Turn-On-Data-Saver-Mode-on-Snapchat.  There may also be a travel mode, or that may in fact be the same feature, but this worth a read as well: https://www.buzzfeed.com/nicolenguyen/snapchat-data-usage-fix