Koodo Community
Question

Connection problem

• 13 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Hello, could you please tell me if bad connection can be cause by SIM card? The reason for my question cause I can not make or receive phone calls in my own house and outside of my house too, even when my spouse next to me he can not get my phone calls and can not call me also, cause he got no signals and it just drop to try to get trough…. Today I was going to call settings and the system gave me MG  “Network or SIM card error.”  What can you recommend me to do? It’s very frustrating to have a phone, pay for the services, and not able to connect to very important calls…

Please, help!

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What phone are you using? and did it work before in the same location in the past?

I assumed your service was active and had no issue with late payment?

Hi Dinh, I have Realme 5 pro phone and I am never late with my payments… even I signed up for automatic payments for many years. My phone use to work with the same location, but I have an issue now for couple of years. I contacted Koodo previously with no success and just stop doing it because they didn’t help me and I spent so many hours over the phone trying to talk to representative, I lost my hope for help…. Now I started to look for solution again, cause I need my phone services people can not reach me over the phone and it’s kind painful…

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The realme 5 pro wasn't a phone destined for Canadian market, It might not have some bands to support full spectrum of Koodo network. Also, if the phone didn't support volte, it would fall back to 3G. That might not work well in certain areas.

Also, as it happens for several years, I suggest you test the SIM card in a different phones to see if it can pick up signal. You could also visit a Koodo location and ask them to change the SIM card for you and see if it can help anything.

Added: I just checked it seems the realme 5 pro didnt support band 4 (LTE) and several others which is the main bands of Koodo. So there is a chance that your phone was the issue.

Thank you for detailed reply, Dinh. Below the screenshot about my phone.  In my phone shows SIM card status Mobile network type LTE, Signal Strength -122 dBm 19 asu. I don’t know what it means, maybe it will tell you something… Also it says Mobile Network status Disconnected I don’t know why, in General Settings Mobile Data is ON position. 

I really like it and wanted to keep it, but if I have to change it I will… What would you recommend? I am definitely don’t want iPhone, my husband has iPhone and I am totally don’t like it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Signal Strength -122 dBm 19 asu.

Not good enough for a reliable connection. Signal strength should be less than -95.

What signal numbers does your spouse get when standing beside you?

The problem seems to have persisted over a few years. Is your spouse’s phone also Koodo/Telus or might it be Rogers? Each network depends on a local tower to provide service, and sometimes one provider’s tower is better than the other in a particular location.

If you are both on Telus/Koodo, try swapping SIMs between the 2 phones and see if the problem travels with the SIM. If so, you should order a replacement.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

According to the device network specifications, the Realme 5 Pro can only operate on Band 5 (or 850 MHz). None of the other bands (or frequencies) are used by or are compatible with Koodo. The frequencies and bands in bold are compatible with Koodo.

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz - not used by Koodo

WCDMA: 850/900/2100MHz - limited 3G

FDD-LTE: Bands 1/3/5/8 - limited 4G

TD-LTE: Bands 38/40/41(2535-2655MHz) - not compatible

Since your phone is restricted to searching for only one band (Band 5/850MHz) this explains why your phone has poor signal reception.

As for recommendations, it really depends on personal preference and your budget. Samsung, Google and Motorola are worth looking into and are offered at varying price points. If you’re looking for a device that is compatible with VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling, then a Koodo phone is your best option.

Shop Koodo Phones

If you’re looking for another Realme product, the Realme 10 Pro 5G should be compatible with Koodo. It’s missing a few bands, but has the basic bands/frequencies for 3G, 4G and LTE. The bands in bold are compatible with Koodo.

Realme 10 Pro 5G | Specifications

2G/GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 - not used by Koodo

3G: WCDMA: B1/B2/B4/B5/B6/B8/B19

4G: FDD-LTE: B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B19/B20/B28A - 4G, LTE

4G: TDD-LTE: B34/B38/B39/B40/B41(2515-2675MHz) - not compatible

5G: Not available on Koodo

A Koodo rep may be able to provision VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling on the device. I cannot say this for certain as it is an unsupported non-Koodo phone.  

Thanks for the replies to all of you!

Looks like I have to change my phone… Like I understood if I will get Realme 10 pro phone there is no warranty it will work with Koodo and I will have VoLTE…. Is it correct? 

I find some other option on Koodo website Samsung Galaxy A53 5g but they have it only in black… If I will buy same phone from different seller will it work with Koodo and give me ability to use VoLTE?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The Realme 10 Pro should be compatible with Koodo as it has the necessary bands/frequencies to operate on Koodo’s network. Since you have the VoLTE add-on added to your account, VoLTE should work with the Realme 10 Pro. 

As long as you get the Canadian version of the A53 5G, model number SM-A536W, then this phone should have no trouble accessing VoLTE. If you’re buying this phone online, ask the seller to verify the model number before purchasing this phone.

If you want to provide links to the A53 5G or other phones you are interested in, post them here so we can take a look. 

Thank you, Rikkster.