Koodo Community
Question

Connecting internet to a multiple desk top computers, no wifi

How would I connect  4 computers and IP phone to Koodo modem? The one I was using till now has multiple connections  

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You would want to buy something called an Ethernet switch.

Essentially it’s just like a power bar. You plug it into one of the Ethernet ports, and then it gives you more Ethernet ports to use.

You should be able to find a small 4 port one for under $30 online.

Thank you. Got the switch. What the proper way it should be connected?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just plug it in like a power bar.
From the Koodo router plug a cable into the ethernet switch, and then you can plug the rest of your devices into the empty ports on the switch.

Modem → Router → Switch → Rest of your Devices

(Some switches may have a designated port to use to plug into your router, generally gonna be the first port, sometimes it may have a different colour, should say in the manual if that is the case).

I’m sorry, but please help me to understand correctly - the cable should be going from modem to router and from wifi router to ethernet switch?   

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Modem to router. Router to switch. I wouldn’t put a switch between a modem and router in case of not getting IP addresses assigned to each device in that case. Routers also have firewalls integrated, while modem and router setups don’t have firewalls in the modem. I’m pretty sure this is the case with the Koodo setup. I’d have the switch to the router to have maximum control and security.

So switch should be connected to one of Ethernet ports 1 or 2  on wifi router?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You should connect the switch to the router (not the modem).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes. The switch should be connected to one of the ethernet ports on the router. It shouldn't really matter which one.

I’d have the switch to the router to have maximum control and security.

Than you very much everybody!